Coffee

AU where Evan and Connor work in a café.

"Here you go. H-have a nice day," Evan said, handing a coffee to a man. He smiled and walked out, leaving the café empty.

"What was that?" Evan heard an angry voice behind him. He winced and turned around, finding himself face to face with Landon, his manager.

"I-I'm sorry-"

"Save your apologies. I heard you stutter. We've talked about this. It's bad for business."

Evan shut his eyes tight and nodded. "It won't happen again."

"It better not. One more time and you're fired." Landon narrowed his piercing emerald green eyes at Evan. "There's been a spill near the fridge. I need you to clean it."

"I need to be here though."

"Does it look like I care?" Landon sighed. "Go. Now. You know where the cleaning equipment is."

Evan nodded and quickly walked to the back. He reached the supplies cupboard and sighed deeply before pulling it open, taking out the mop, a bucket and a few cleaning supplies. He filled the bucket and then walked to the outside of the fridge, where someone had spilt milk.

He sighed once again and began to clean. Water splashed on his shoes and the bottom of his pants.

"Are you okay?" He heard a voice ask. He turned around to see a boy he had never seen before. He was tall, with brown hair and brown eyes with specks of blue.

Evan nodded quickly. "Yeah, I'm fine."

"I literally just saw you working the register," he pointed out. "What are you doing back here?"

"I wasn't..." He took a deep breath. He was trying not to stutter. "I wasn't doing a good job, so Landon got me to clean up this spill."

"Oh. Do you need any help?"

"I'm fine, th-thanks." Evan realised he stuttered and shut his eyes tight, sighing.

"Are you sure you're okay?" The boy asked.

"No," Evan admitted. "It's just... Landon..." He struggled to find the right words.

"Is a dick?" The boy finished.

"I mean, I wouldn't put it exactly like that, but yes."

The boy chuckled. "I'm Connor."

"Evan."

Connor smiled. "Here. At least let me clean the rest." He gestured to the mop.

"No, it's okay."

Connor sighed. "So, how come I haven't seen you before today? With a cute face like yours, I would've definitely remembered meeting you."

Evan shrugged. His face was also completely red from Connor's comment. "Are you new?"

"Ah. Right. I'm an idiot." Connor laughed. "I started yesterday."

"Oh. Yesterday was my day off."

"Again, I'm really fucking stupid. Sorry."

"No, no, don't apologise," Evan said.

"By the way, what was Landon saying? If you want to tell me, that is."

Normally, Evan wouldn't even speak comfortably with someone he had just met. However, for whatever reason, Connor was different.

"First, please promise not to make fun of me?" Evan asked.

"Why would I make fun of you?"

"Okay, so... I have anxiety." Evan looked up at Connor, expecting him to look at him like he was weird or walk away, but he just stood there, calmly listening and nodding. "And it, uh, causes me to stutter. A lot. Landon doesn't like my stuttering, he says it's 'bad for business.' I can't exactly help it, though! So it's actually taking a lot for me to not stutter right now and it's really hard and it's really hard and I'm sorry I'm so weird-"

"Hey, hey," Connor said. "You're not weird. Just take a deep breath."

Evan did as Connor instructed and continued.

"Th-thank-you." Evan began to stutter again. He didn't care at that point. He let his guard down and spoke as he would usually speak. "Anyway, I a-accidentally stuttered once when, um, speaking with a customer, and he d-didn't like that. He yelled at me and told me to c-clean up back here."

Connor shook his head. "What an asshole. Why do you put up with his crap?"

Evan shrugged. "I, uh, need the money."

"You deserve so much better, Evan."

***

It was the end of Evan's shift and, coincidentally, the end of Connor's, too.

"Evan!" He heard Connor call. He stopped and waited for Connor to catch up.

"Huge favour, but could I please borrow your phone for a second?" Connor asked.

"Sure." Evan pulled his phone out of his pocket then unlocked it. "Do you need to call somebody or something?"

Connor nodded. Evan pulled up the dial screen and handed it to Connor. It took him a moment to actually dial the number, but when he did, he didn't put the phone up to his ear. Instead, he pulled his own phone out of his pocket. Evan saw that it was his number on Connor's phone. Connor declined the call and put his phone back in his pocket, then handed Evan back his phone.

"See you later, Evan!" Connor said before walking in the opposite direction.

Evan brought up his call history and saw that Connor had saved his number into Evan's phone. Evan stood for a moment, smiling and shaking his head, before walking down the path.

A/N: I have two more Treebros chapters planned so yeah expect a lot of Treebros. Also I'm sorry if this didn't make sense. I'm tired, sick, and it's almost midnight here (which is why I'm getting tired).

Take it easy!