Emotions

A/N: Thank-you OtherGayShitTM for the request! This book needs more Zolana, so here you go.

Have fun with the really bad metaphors.

The night after her High School graduation, Zoe sat on her bed with her guitar, playing songs from jazz band.

She was really going to miss the band. She had been a member through all her years of High School and really enjoyed it.

Playing her guitar was taking her mind off something else that was slowly eating her up inside. That morning, Connor had left without telling anyone where he was going. She still hadn't heard anything from him.

Zoe sighed, then realised she'd been plucking at the same string since thinking about her brother.

She was relieved to have her brother back. The two were very close as kids. They spent every second they could together.

Then one day when Zoe was about twelve, Connor disappeared.

Instead, the happy, bubbly kid had been replaced by a complete stranger. He never left his room, and whenever Zoe tried to talk to him he would get angry. To her, it felt as though he had stabbed a knife straight into her heart and twisted it around. She cried out in pain, but her screams hadn't been heard over all the arguing.

She didn't tell anyone how she really felt about the monster who became part of her life, replacing her old best friend.

Then he met Evan, and Connor slowly began to return. He made an effort to make amends with Zoe, and the two were close once again.

Occasionally, there were visits from the monster, but she and Evan (but mostly Evan) had tried to help Connor fight him.

When Connor went missing once again, although physically this time, Zoe's world fell apart. It had been a long, hard year without him, but she fought through it.

Zoe had what Alana called her own little 'superpower'. She could reflect on other people's emotions. If she were hurting inside and was on the verge of a breakdown, she could put a smile on her face and pretend everything was okay.

It wasn't always a superpower, though. Because of this, she had trouble expressing her true emotions.

Tears began to well in her eyes and she squeezed them shut, gently lying the guitar next to her on the bed.

She put her head in her hands and softly began to sob.

In a way, she was reflecting off of someone's emotions.

Her own.

She heard her phone buzz and looked up, wiping her eyes with her sleeve.

She dropped her guitar pick in the little pocket on her guitar case and slowly stood up, walking to her desk where her phone sat. She turned it on.

2 New Messages from Connor.

Zoe smiled, giggling from relief.

He was okay.

She tapped the notification and unlocked her phone.

Connor: zoe im so sorry

Connor: i was with cynthia

Zoe: Oh, thank God you're okay!

Zoe: Wait

Zoe: Why were you with Cynthia?

Connor: she had to talk to me

Connor: i need to talk to you about it too but not right now

Zoe: Okay.

Zoe: I'm really glad you're okay.

She turned her phone off and placed it back on the desk, walking back over to her bed to put her guitar back in its case.

She zipped the case up, still smiling about her brother.

Zoe walked down stairs where she saw Alana standing near the door.

"Hi!" Zoe exclaimed. "How long have you been here?"

Alana gave her a quick peck on the lips. "I only just got here. Have you heard anything from Connor?"

Zoe nodded. "He's okay."

"That's good," Alana smiled. "What have you been doing?"

"Playing my guitar, reminiscing my time in jazz band."

"Oh! Can you play something for me?"

Zoe smiled a bit. "Sure."

The two walked upstairs to Zoe's room. Zoe sat on her bed whilst Alana pulled up the desk chair, sitting in front of her, a large grin on her face.

Zoe pulled her guitar case close and fished around the small pocket for a guitar pick.

However, she felt something in there that was definitely not pick-shaped.

Confused, she slowly pulled the small object out of the pocket.

Her hand emerged holding a ring.

It was silver with blue gems on the outside. There was also a diamond shaped like a heart.

She gasped. It was beautiful.

"Alana..." she whispered, standing up. "How long has this been in there?"

Alana stood up too. "I put it in the pocket earlier today."

"Oh my God."

Zoe was still in shock. Was this really happening?

"I know we're both young," Alana said. "But I'm sure of one thing: I love you, Zoe Murphy. And I want to spend the rest of my life with you."

Alana held one of Zoe's hands (the one not holding the ring) and got down on one knee.

"Will you marry me?"

"I..." Zoe began to giggle. "Yes!"

Alana jumped back on her feet and the two girls shared a long, sweet kiss.

They pulled away and Alana slipped the ring on Zoe's finger.

The two looked into each other's eyes for a while before Alana broke the silence.

"So... do you still want to play a song for me?"