44

Mackenzie's Point Of View

Beep, beep, beep...

I felt so strange, so light and weightless, like I was there but at the same time I wasn't. I was balancing on a knife edge, walking on the precipice between light and dark and I could fall either way.

Beep, beep, beep...

I felt as light as a feather, yet heavy as bricks, like I was floating and yet stuck to the ground. It was a strange sensation, unlike one I'd ever felt before and I knew eventually I'd fall one way or the other. I wasn't sure what would happen when I chose a side to fall as I didn't know what lay beyond each one. Was it good? Bad? Positive? Negative? I simply wasn't sure.

Beep, beep, beep...

But I knew I had a decision to make and a path to follow. I knew I needed to fall from the knife edge, I knew I needed to pick a side and I needed to do it quick. So I closed my eyes and I chose, taking a deep breath before I slowly began to fall...

Beep, beep, beep...

My eyes slowly opened, the motion a struggle at first. It was bright wherever I was so I quickly closed them again in order to adjust. Once my eyes no longer hurt I cautiously opened them again and slowly took in my surroundings. The room I was in was white and rather clinical, a tall window on the far left side of the room showing me it was a bright and sunny day with blue skys.

My eyes slowly moved around, taking everything in. There were posters on the wall, machines scattered around, mechanical sounds echoing. A constant beeping sounded in my ear which would not stop. To my left sat a bedside table that was covered with cards and flowers and balloons. It only took me a matter of moments to realise it was a hospital room.

And that's when the pain hit me hard. My head, my ribs, my shoulder. I gasped, my face scrunching up uncomfortably, but I found it difficulty to move. I noticed a drip connected to my arm, giving me whatever sustenance I needed.

What is going on...?

I still felt half asleep but I managed to drag my eyes over to the door of the room, looking through the large glass panel in the door, surprised to see my dad on the other side. He was in the corridor, deep in conversation with a man in a white coat. A doctor I assumed. His face looked concerned but he seemed to be listening to every last word the doctor said. I frowned in puzzlement.

Why is He here...?

I swallowed, continuing to look around, wanting to adjust my body in the hope of relieving any of the pain. That's when I felt a heavy weight against my right hand and lower arm. I looked down, my eyes widening slightly as I saw Dean nestled in a seat at my bedside. He sat in the seat but his body was bent over, his head resting against my arm. His hand held mine tightly as his body breathed slowly. He was fast asleep.

What the hell are we doing here...?

I was confused beyond belief, my head not quite able to comprehend what was going on, partly because I didn't have a clue and partly because it hurt far too much to think about it.

I slowly managed to pry my hand free of his grasp until his head settled softly on the mattress of the hospital bed. He looked exhausted so thankfully I hadn't woken him up. I looked back to my dad again before returning my gaze to Dean, my hand slowly stroking his silky brown hair. He looked so peaceful as he slept there, his face so sweet and quiet and innocent...

He looks a lot calmer than the last time I saw him...

And that's when it hit me.

It was like that one simple little thought allowed a wave of memory to hit me all at once and suddenly my blanks were filled in.