41

Mackenzie 's Point Of View

There was an awkwardness in the air the next week as we met in Shane's office the afternoon before the match between The Shield and The ballor club . I sat there uncomfortably, my hands held tightly together in my lap, and I knew I'd rather be anywhere else in the world than in this room at that moment.

It was a room filled with unanswered questions, unhappy people, animosity filled relationships, angry individuals, and an intensity that made me afraid to speak a single word. I just wanted a black hole to appear beneath me and suck me up.

What I wouldn't give for Paige and Sasha to run in here, grab my hand and take me away...

Literally a month ago, this would have been a group of people who loved each other, got on with one another and would essentially consider each other close. But now it could not be more was a bitterness between shane and I, a hatred between Dean and Shane , Steph and daddy . The animosity between Dean and Randy that was off the scale.

There was a lot of bad blood in the room and it was hard to know where to look.

I trusted only three people and that was Dean, Seth and Roman. But sadly we'd all been thrust into the same situation and had suddenly been reunited over a shared enemy. So all the anger and fighting between us had to be stopped for now. We had to become allies once again and get on in order to rid ourselves of our mutual problem.

It wasn't easy. It was far from it. But it was necessary and it had to be done.

I gazed around at the people I'd once considered my closest peers, looking at them one by one until my eyes finally landed on Randy, and I couldn't help the way my shoulders dropped in sadness. Out of everybody in this room, including Dean, it was my relationship with Randy that had changed the most. It had gone through so many ups and downs in these last few weeks that sometimes it was hard to keep up.

Casual friends, brotherly affection, best friends, romance, betrayal and finally strangers.

We'd seen it all.

It was just a shame that we'd ended things the way we had. The man had been my best friend for almost half my life, but due to jealousy we'd become nothing, acting like mere strangers. And now, as we sat in the room next to each other, we could barely look at each other.

It was just crazy how things had changed so drastically.

"So," began my brother as he sat comfortably behind his desk. "Tonight is obviously a pretty big deal for us all, and we know what needs to be done. I won't accept excuses, it is completely and utterly necessary that Styles does not come out of this the victor."

"Obviously," I said, rolling my eyes.

"He may have acquired help tonight, but that shouldn't dampen our spirits. He may have friends but that team doesn't have what The Shield has, and that's unity. You boys know each other like the back of your hand." He looked up at Dean. "And even though we've had our... issues the last week or so, I have complete faith in you three as wrestlers. I trust you totally to get the job done for Mackenize tonight."

"We'll fight to the end," Roman assured the room.

"He got the upperhand over us last week," said Seth. "We don't let the same mistakes happen twice."

Dean remained silent, offering my brother a simple nod.

I agreed with Shane a hundred percent. If there was a team I wanted fighting on my behalf then it was The Shield. Their skills in the ring were impeccable, and their unity as a team was as astounding as their talents as individual fighters. They were different to when first debut way back in 2013 yet completely the same, their abilities making them unpredictable and a strong foe to go up against.