Bittersweet | Matt

READ THE NOTE AT THE END PLS

Gender Neutral!Reader x Matt

"F/n." He said my name just as he always did. The same expression on his face and the same tone of voice that I would never get bored of.

"Matt." I responded back while turning in my chair to face him. His eyebrows were furrowed as he looked at the ground. He was focused on something so much more than the flat surface and I didn't have to ask just because I knew he was going to tell me. Both of his elbows rested on his knees as he seemed to be holding his head up with just his fingers.

"What are we even doing out here?" I was prepared for this question. After all, it was the hundredth time he's asked it in the past year. He said it with such force, just as he always had, and the first time it made me flinch. Now I just raised my eyebrows in concern towards the man.

But the question was a sure and certain one. The statement he was making by it was one I'd thought about on a countless number of occasions. What are we doing out here? Fighting for the galaxy as our bodies slowly rot and deteriorate? All the while, our family and friends back on Earth have the thought that we are nothing but a body floating in space for the rest of the universe's life.

We had escaped, but we were doing the same damn thing every day. We stayed in a dark cellar underground tracking Galra communications. That's all we were doing and it wasn't changing anytime soon. The closed space made me sick to my stomach and my skin crawl over it's self. My whole body felt empty in general - the thought of the unknown was so thrilling before but once you're apart of the unknown it's sickening.

"Fighting for our own lives and the lives of so many others." My voice was steady, I had to prove that I was okay just to make Matt feel the slightest bit of reassurance.

Matt stood up, this was different compared to the script that I'd written when we'd had this conversation before. Both of his arms fell to his sides as he tightened his fists. His legs paced back and forth, nearing me and then walking away as he spoke of nothing. And then all too suddenly the sound of his fist hitting metal rang in my ears even though he was on the opposite side of the room as me.

"We..." He began with a crack in his voice. He coughed slightly trying to calm himself down before beginning to speak again. "We are going to die out here. Then there won't even be the slightest thought of us maybe being alive - because it won't be true. We will just be dead somewhere light years away from our home."

I looked down into my palms as if something was supposed to sprout and give the both of us a solution. But there was no happy or realistic conclusion. Nothing other than what fell from Matt's lips.

"Matt, I don't think-"

"F/n, no one cares about us! Not even our own rebel force! Look at us, we are sitting underground just waiting for death to consume us." He didn't turn to face me, his fist was still pushing against the wall that he just punched. There was no indent or mark, but from the loud sound, there could of been.

He stood frozen. Nothing in the room moving, not even myself. That was before he turned to face me. His lip was captured between his teeth. He was holding everything in.

This was a side I've only seen rarely of Matt. I've only seen this the first time we were captured and every time he's spoken of his family; especially his sister. Him breaking down was something that never failed to tug a hole into my heart.

"I don't know what to think of anything anymore." His voice cracked again as he began to walk over to me. Tears weren't visible yet, but I knew either he would be strong enough to let them out or his version of strong and hold them back until it was two o'clock in the morning and he decided then was a perfect time to let his emotions capture his body.

I wasn't supposed to know that little known fact, but I did and if he knew I did, he would get rid of his emotions for a life time. That was the one thing I feared over anything.

Matt began to walk towards me, taking his seat in his chair again as he looked towards me. His huge eyes were watery, but he blinked that slaty water away to make me think I didn't suspect of anything.

"You are strong." My voice was firm, he needed to know this and he barely believe it himself. "We are going to make it out of this hole in the ground. Soon, we will be flying from planet to planet, letting prisoners of the Galra free. And sure, humans may not know about all we've done; but we will and so will the ones that we've saved, okay?"

My hand slipped over his own, his rough knuckles that were scarred up touched my palm and it was the best feeling. I rubbed my thumb over the back of his hand before he turned his hand into my own and intertwined our fingers together.

"We are in this together. I couldn't survive if I was alone." He brought his head back up to look at me when I said that. And when I did a big goofy smile spread from ear to ear.

"Did you get that from a book or something?" His whole demeanor changed making me smile as I looked at him. His eyes crinkled at the corners making my smile only grow in size.

"I swear, I try to be serious and loving with you and you say some dumb shit." A laugh escaped his lips at that and he pushed himself back on his chair. By doing that he flipped out of it and landed on his side, still laughing. He held his stomach with both arms, his laughing dying down as he was completely exasperated and could barely breathe.

"H-Help me up, would you?" I couldn't help but slip a laugh from myself at his clumsy self. "I know what you're going to do." I warned as I began to stand on my own two feet, walking so that I was standing above him. I reached my hand out expectantly and just as I thought, he reached up and grabbed me making me fall down beside him. His elbow somehow hit my back making me groan over exaggeratedly. He only chuckled.

I looked to face him and it was all too much. His long, light brown hair was spread around him. Some fell onto of his face and covered his eyes, and he didn't bother to push it to the side. A smile visible that stretched to his beautiful eyes. His cheeks tinted pink along with his ears

"You knew what was coming for you and didn't even prepare yourself for impact."

A/N
THE FUCK, NO I DIDNT KNOW WHAT WAS COMING FOR ME AND I DIDNT REALIZE HOW MUCH I LOVE MATT HOLT???v?

would it also be chill if i do some imagines with the lotor squad ?? because i love them too much!! send in some requests for the girls and boy because i will gladly write!!!!!

also if you are down to hear me complain, bc i need to complain to people other than Misha (i overload her i'm sorry bb) come and talk to me!!

ALSO ITS HELLA OKAY 100% IF YOU GET AN IDEA FROM A ONE SHOT AND WANT TO MAKE IT INTO A STORY YOURSELF!! JUST LET ME KNOW BEFORE HAND PLEASE :)

if u didn't bother reading my season 4, i'll just say it was hella crazy and i miss narti and i love matt

i'm supposed to be doing history hw but i have regionals tomorrow and i had over loving matt vibes :')

BUT HOPE THAT WE WIN OUR GAME TOMORROW SO WE ADVANCE TO STATES AHHH