Promise | Lance

Gender Neutral!Reader x Lance

It was night and everyone was asleep. The lights were off, the only light was further galaxies that illuminated the dark room. But here I am sitting in the main room staring outside at the stars. My loose and comfortable fitting pajamas wrapped around my skin, still not warm enough for the temperature it was right now.

You would think being in space would be super cool. Yeah, it was at first, but now it's just kind of old news. I consider the paladins my family, but I haven't seen my real family in over two years. Pidge was always there to help. Keith didn't really talk, but when he did I couldn't be more grateful. Hunk was comfort in a human form. Shiro always guided us, like a father. And Allura and Coran were there to motivate us. But Lance was the one that I felt I was literally connected to.

He felt the same things that I do. Felt the same way I do. We would talk about Earth, what we would do, who we would be with, and what we wanted more than anything. And right now it's to be there, on our home planet. But, at the end of the day, he was always there, made being in space feel more home then ever. He eve-

"Good morning sleepy head." A voice spoke from behind me. The one that I was just thinking about two second ago.

"What are you doing up?" I asked while turning my head to face him, he wore his pajamas as well.

"I could ask the same thing." He snickered while walking over to sit beside me. The couch adjusted to the weight change.

"Couldn't sleep, what time is it?" We used Earth time, from the location where we lived. It was just our type of normal. Plus, we weren't orbiting around a sun to give us an exact time or day.

"Same here and..." He turned his head to look at the clock that was attached to the wall, something we put up when we arrived here. "One AM on the dot." Lance laughed while facing me again.

"Do you think we're ever going to beat the Galra? Ever go home before we die?" I asked lowly while fidgeting with my hands. Both Lance and myself didn't like asking questions like that. But, it was late and my mind wandered everywhere at this time.

He sighed while furrowing his eyebrows. "We will. We just have to have hope, you know? And don't talk like that, we aren't going to die out here, Y/n, I know that. We'll be back on Earth before you know it." His voice sounded too promising, too much so that I didn't even believe it.

"You can't promise that, Lance. I just- I just don't think we are. And what if we do? We all will go our own damn ways." My voice raised without me even knowing it. To anyone, it would sound like I am scolding Lance right now. Telling him that he is wrong, that what he said isn't true. And that's just how I felt.

Lance whipped his head in my direction before placing a finger on my lips in a 'be quiet' way. "What I'm saying is, if we even make it back to Earth we are all going to grow up. Without each other. What's even the point if that's what is going to happen?" Now I held my head in both of my hands. Tears puddled in my palms, spilling down my arms and onto my pajamas. I tried as hard as I could to be quiet but that turned out to sound like muffled sobs.

The warmth of Lance's hand scared me half to death. So much that I almost fell off the lounge but caught myself. "Shit." I cursed under my breath, Lance softly chuckled in response.

"I promise, okay I promise, I won't leave you. I don't care what happens, I, Lance McClain will not leave you, Y/n L/n, when we travel back home. Cross my heart." I sat up and looked at him cross an 'x' over his heart. I smiled at the sight. His eyes were sharp, signaling me to know that he wasn't lying.

"You can't promise something like that either, you know?" I chuckled to myself. There was no way that he can promise to never leave me, or whatever his plan is.

He turned to the opposite side while not saying anything. I arched an eyebrow at him, why was he acting so anxious?

"I-I mean you can promi-"

"I love you." He mumbled while cutting me off. I held wide eyes and my lips separated because of my dropped jaw. My heart rate increased along with my breathing. I felt like I just ran a marathon but I haven't moved an inch.

"Wh-What? No, you don-" And then again he cut me off, but I couldn't ask for more.

"Yes I do, I-I love you." Lance responded while proceeding to turn back towards me. His eyes were glued to his own hands that played with one another.

"It's fine if you don't feel the same. I just needed to get it out." He sighed and scratched the back of his neck awkwardly. There was a long silence in the room.

I couldn't speak, it hurt to even breath. Him beginning to stand up only made things worse. I grabbed his hand, his body turning to face me.

"I-I love you too." I croaked while wrapping my arms around his neck. For some reasons tears instinctively fell out of my eyes onto Lance's shirt. His body froze against mine before he wrapped his arms on both of my sides.

It almost seemed out of a cliche movie. The stars shining on both of us while we held each other close and tightly. Even the words we spoke and our actions made it seem like none of this was real.

We stood like that for a while before sitting back down in our former seats. I leaned my head on his shoulder and his arm snaked around to my side pulling me closer to him. Slowly sleep consumed me, but not before him muttering something.

"I won't leave you no matter what. And that's a promise."

A/N
I feel like this is so over dramatic and cliche but all I want is for Lance to love me right now so.

Also very fluffy and short, sorry about that.