Chapter two

"Hello, stepmom. Nice to meet you,"
I looked down to see Michael's outstretched hand. I nervously wipe my sweaty hands on my dress before I shook hands with him.

"Are you okay ?" He asked sarcasm dripping off his tongue.
I cleared my throat and answered that I was fine. He gave me an arrogant smirk and I could tell he knew the effect he was having on me.

"Dinner is set. I guess we should head to the dining hall," I blurted out trying to make my voice sound normal as I could.

I yelled for Ama to take Michael's things to his room. I felt a hand on my waist and turned to see my husband smiling down at me. I managed to smile back at him and could still feel Michael's gaze on me.

We ate in silence whilst my husband and Michael made small talk.

"So how is the food, Michael ?" My husband questioned, which aroused my interest.

"Dad, it's really nice," Michael praised.

"I didn't know Raquel was that good." He said looking up at me with a forced smile.

"Thank you," I replied, looking down at my plate.

My husband started to brag about my cooking skills when he suddenly got a call.

"A second, I need to take this," He said and left the table.

An awkward silence fell between us when we were left alone. I looked up from my bowl of fufu when Michael cleared his throat, to meet his hate-filled gaze. I watched him with a confused expression, in an attempt to understand his sudden mood change.

"So Raquel, can you tell me what a pretty girl like you is doing with my father?" Michael questioned.

I was taken aback by the hostility in his voice. He was practically nice to me a while ago.

"What!" I hurled back.

"Don't tell me you are deaf or are you?" He retorted.

"Seriously?" I questioned in exasperation.

"I love your father, okay. That's why I married him," I chastised.

He started laughing as if I had just said a joke.

"Are you kidding me? He is old enough to be your father. Look at me, do I resemble a fool? You married him for his money. Gold digger! I bet you have a small boy whom you screw around with," He snapped back.

That was it. My heartbeat picked up from unexpressed anger. I clenched the table tightly to control my emotions.

"How dare you?" I questioned, my eyebrow creased to show my displeasure.
I raised my hands to slap him but he caught it mid-air before it made contact with his face.

"Don't you dare!" He chided whilst he pushed my hand down.

We stood still looking into each other's eyes, breathing heavily. I tried to blink back the tears that were threatening to spill when I heard my husband's fast-approaching footsteps. Michael quickly sat down and acted as if nothing had happened.

"Honey why are you standing," My husband questioned, whilst he quickly rushed to my side.

"Your eyes look teary. What is the problem?" He anxiously asked.
Michael butted in before I replied.

"Dad she was just complaining of a headache. I think she will be fine if she rests a bit, " He directed, looking at me expectantly for backup.
I reluctantly nodded to confirm what he just said.

"Honey I'm going to rest, if you need anything call me," I told my husband.

"Don't worry let me walk you to your room," My husband replied.

I told him not to worry since I will be fine on my own. I advised him to spend time with Michael. He eventually agreed. Michael's eyes followed my movements up the stairs.

I guess I was right about my intuition. I needed to step up my game with Michael. I needed to be strong and this was the last time he was going to see me this vulnerable. I thought as I slowly slipped into sleep.

Hope you liked it. Please vote and comment. Thank you