twenty four

avalyn sparrow

"I'm going to buy a sandwich from Frank and Vivi's. Do you want one?" I scurried along the street, not having to shove people out of my way. Normally, Justin only assigns one bodyguard with me. But recently the paparazzi have been a lot crazier than usual and they attract the attention with fans who for some reason want pictures with me. So, I now have two guys who follow me around. I couldn't be bothered because they drive me around too. I haven't taken the subway in months.

"Yeah baby. You better bring me one," Justin responded over the phone. I was in a better than usual mood. Today I had my last final exam, meaning I was free for the rest of the summer. If Justin wasn't in the picture then I would be taking summer courses. But I was excited to spend more time with him so didn't mind taking a break. "Can you hurry up? You always take long getting ready and we're gonna be late. And I need to talk to you about something."

Justin's best friend—Cole—is having his birthday party tonight. Despite partying not being my thing, I was happy to attend it with him. He said "it's important that since people know we're together, we start showing up at the events together." Whatever that means. Since I'm joining him, he's meeting me in the middle and saying we won't be staying for too long.

"I know. I'll hurry and see you in a bit," I said bye then entered the sandwich shop.

As usual, Vivi and Frank were happy to see me. They tried to retract back into their old habits of giving me free food. Financially, I've been doing good and no longer want to take advantage of the kindness. I tried to have a good conversation, but Justin's words were repeating in my head. After thanking them, I left the store. Flash took over my vision before one of my guards grabbed my arms to guide me in the correct direction because I couldn't see.

"Avalyn, how do you feel about Justin's tour? How is that going to affect your relationship? Are you guys breaking up or doing long distance?"

My face remained frozen, not showing how much these questions by paparazzi were affecting me. Justin informed me I'm not required to answer anything these people say. I'm allowed to ignore them, so I did. But it was hard. They followed us all the way until we got to the car, asking me the same question.

"How do you feel about Justin's tour?"

Justin has never even mentioned a tour. He's going on tour? For how long? Why hasn't he said anything? All these questions were spiralling in my head because the question threw me completely off guard. It was a humiliating feeling being asked that question. Does the whole world know about Justin's supposed tour with the exception of me?

When I arrived at Justin's penthouse I wanted to mention this tour with him, but we were in such a hurry it had slipped my mind. I was basically eating my sandwich and doing my makeup at the same time. My hands were a lot more shaky than usual and I wanted to vomit thinking about Justin going away. But the paparazzi could have been asking me fake questions. That's what they do sometimes because they want to get a rise out of you.

In the end, Justin was basically pulling me from the penthouse with my sandwich in hand. I was stumbling in my heels from how fast he was moving me through the penthouse.

"Goodness gracious. This party has your panties in a knot," my words were inaudible from my sandwich in my mouth. I lifted my leg for him to properly strap my heels. He helped me out before leaning to eat my sandwich but I stopped him. "You ate your sandwich. This is mine!" I faced away then stuffed my sandwich into my mouth. He playfully squeezed my waist to tickle me.

"You little menace. Ask me what I ate today. A sandwich and that's it. I'm starving," Justin whined before we left the elevator to the parking garage. I couldn't even reply to his snarky remark because I could barely swallow my food. He opened the back doors of the car waiting for us. I scooted over and made room for him.