nineteen

avalyn sparrow

The month and a half after Christmas was good. Justin and I spent Valentine's day together and he was my first Valentine. He made the entire day special and I didn't want the day to end. He got me flowers and chocolates and other cheesy things I didn't know I wanted until he got them for me. He was treating me like a princess. Everything I've ever wanted out of a relationship, Justin provided for me. Aside from my housing situation being in a confusing state, Justin and I's relationship was perfect.

I still hadn't told him I moved out from my parents house and I had convinced him I was staying with Elena because her dog died and she needed emotional support. She's never even had a dog. I hated lying to him. But if he knew I was staying with her because I had no where else to go and was actively searching for an apartment, he'd never approve.

I woke up the next morning after Valentine's day and Justin was seated on the edge of the bed, hunched over while on the phone. The phone call was mostly the other person talking and Justin listening. His body language was scaring me, but I wasn't going to act on anything until he ended the call.

"Yeah. Um...I'll be there," Justin's voice sounded torn, like he was quietly crying. I sat up on the bed when the phone call ended and he set his phone on the nightstand. Holding the covers up to my chest, I watched him hide his head in his hands.

"Is everything okay?"

Justin never cries. We both aren't criers and I didn't know how to deal with this. Elena cries so much I've become numb to it. But I can't numb myself to Justin's crying, especially because he never does it.

He sniffled, wiping his eyes. I crawled to the other side of the bed to sit beside him. His eyes were blood shot red and tears had captivated his cheeks.

"What happened?" I showed my concern. Bringing my thumb to his cheek, I wiped away his tears. Instead of answering me, he leaned to rest his head on my lap. Rubbing his back because it was the only remedy I could think of.

"My grandfather passed last night. Doctors are saying heart attack," he spoke up and my heart sank knowing how much he loved his grandfather. I talked to him quite a bit during Christmas and we shared a few laughs. He was a great man and I know Justin was really close with him growing up.

"I'm so sorry, Justin." No one in my family has passed away, but I was still empathetic of his feelings. It really hurt to see him this hurt. "Is there anything I can do for you?"

"His burial is next week in Ontario. I know it's last minute, but I'd really appreciate if you could come with me," he nervously asked like I would ever say no. I would quit my job just attend it with him.

"Of course I'll join you," I assured him while I continued to wipe his tears. I would never not be there for him in his time of need. "I'm going to go make you breakfast. Why don't you go take a shower and meet me downstairs when you're ready?" I proposed because if I were in his position I would've loved time to process things on my own.

"Okay," he was quiet with his response but chose not to move. I didn't rush him. I rubbed his arm and back, telling him everything would be okay and I would help him get through this whatever way possible. On his own accord, he sat up and walked to the bathroom. I got out of the bed and went to the closet, finding sweatpants and a tank top before going down the stairs with his phone in hand.

"Hi, Mia. It's Avalyn," I put his phone on speaker after calling his assistant. "I'm sorry if it's a bit early. But I was wondering if you could do me a huge favour," I searched the fridge for different ingredients I could use to make him breakfast.

"Not a problem. Anything," she insisted and I sighed with relief.

"Do you mind going to that cafe Justin really likes? Can you get two of those apple fritter donuts he likes and a regular glazed donut? And his usual coffee order," I instructed and it felt weird giving her demands without further context. After all, she's Justin's assistant and not mine But she happily agreed to do so in reasonable time. I expected Justin to come down before she arrived, but he was taking his time in the shower. So much time I started to worry.