twenty one

avalyn sparrow

I knew Justin's birthday was today and I hadn't seen or spoken to him in two weeks. I thought our conversation would help me move on but it didn't. I found myself thinking about him first thing in the morning and right before bed at night.

His birthday party was being held at a club I remember him talking about. I was looking for a sign not to show up and I received a lot. Especially the fact that I'm not a club girl and Julie would definitely be there. Everything pointed to me staying my ass at home and going to sleep early so I wouldn't have to think of him potentially spending the night with Julie. But I would forever feel guilty if I didn't wish him happy birthday. Although it easily could've been done over the phone, I convinced Elena to escort me. It really didn't take much convincing since she was dying for the opportunity to socialize with people like Justin.

"We're staying an hour maximum, Elena," I notified her prior because I knew she was going to never want to leave. With a groan, she agreed while we walked to the building. There was a line on the outside I didn't intend on waiting in. I was just going to walk right inside.

"Wow wow. This is a private event. Are you on the guest list?" The bouncer stopped me from entering. I looked at Elena who was keeping a good poker face.

"Avalyn Sparrow and Elena Gonzalez" I hesitantly said, taking the chance Justin for some reason put me on this list even though we haven't communicated recently. The odds were slim considering I broke up with him.

With suspicious eyes, he looked at the tablet in his hands. "You're good. She's not on the list."

"She's my plus one," I said which he for some reason found funny. He laughed at me with a mocking tone I was insulted by.

"This isn't a wedding. There are no plus ones. Back of the line like everyone else," he pointed. I was taken back and I don't know why. He's a bouncer and double my size but I felt like I could take him on. It was the liquor talking. I shouldn't have pre drank. I shouldn't have drank at all. Drinking scares me because I don't want to become addicted like my parents. And because I'm a violent drunk.

"She's with me. We're going inside now and you're going to let us through with no hassle," I attempted to walk past him but he stopped me. I sighed as I crossed my arms.

"Lynn, it's fine. I'll wait out here," Elena spoke when she could tell I was getting upset. The last thing she wanted was to cause a scene because she knows she's the one who would have to fight.

"My boyfriend is in there. You may know him. Justin fucking Bieber, and if I have to call him and let him know you're being a dick and not letting us in, he's going to be very angry. I don't know if you're aware, but it's his birthday," I conjured up the courage to speak out of my ass. Justin and I aren't together but he doesn't know that.

His jaw clenched, glancing at the bouncer beside him. He gave me a quick nod and I grabbed Elena's hand and pulled her inside. I handed my ID to the people inside, letting them also take my coat.

"Holy shit, Avalyn. You guys aren't even dating anymore," Elena whispered when wristbands were put on our wrists.

"They don't know that. And I'm allowed to wave around his name all I want. He fucking cheated on me," I shrugged, the loud music and dark lights quickly filling our ears and eyes.

"I'll be back. I have to pee," Elena said and I offered to join her but she insisted she'd be okay. I went to the bar, ordering myself a drink. The club was quite full and I had yet to search for Justin, but I needed at least one more drink in me. I need the liquid courage.

"What's the name I should put your tab under?" The bartender asked but before I could answer, someone else did.

"Put it under mine," Justin stood beside me as I brought the drink into my hands. I looked away from him, taking a large gulp of my drink. "I didn't think you'd come."