three

avalyn sparrow

Justin's home was breathtaking. His penthouse had lots of open space and floor to ceiling windows. The colour scheme was dark. Dark wooden floors, dark cabinets, dark marble countertops in the kitchen.

After our date, he ended up taking me home and I didn't text him until the day after. He responded immediately and was eager to spend time together again. Considering I have school and he's Justin, that took more time than he would've liked. We went out for food again, this time to a donair place he suggested before he invited me to his home.

"You want something to drink?" Justin offered as we entered the kitchen that was off to the left. My fingers touched the beautiful marble. So this is how the other half lives.

"I'm fine," I responded way later than I should have. I was too busy being fascinated that someone could live like this. And he says his life isn't perfect. He grabbed bottled water from his fridge and led me to the living room. It had a beautiful view of his terrace over looking the city. New York looks beautiful from up here. "So you live here on your own?" I fell into his plush couch that was softer than I expected.

"I worked hard," he defended, almost afraid I was trying to start up an argument. But that wasn't my intention. I don't want to argue with him about his money. "You live with your parents?"

"Yeah," I rested my head on the back of the couch while I turned to look at him. I sucked in a heap of air when I found his eyes already staring at me in fascination. Justin's eyes have this way of looking at me like I'm the most breathtaking thing he's ever encountered. Even when I give him every reason to not think highly of me, he treats and speaks to me like I'm someone worthy of love. It's a feeling I haven't had in a while.

"How is it?" Justin reached for my hand resting on my lap. I stayed quiet, thinking of what I could tell him. The truth. But I never tell anyone the truth. I don't like people having the ability to use something against me. It's easier to keep everything to myself and have people see me as how I want them to see me.

But Justin was giving me this look like nothing I say could make him look at me any differently. Justin says I treat him like he's human, but ironically, he looks at me like I'm anything but. He looks at me like I'm ethereal.

"I've been supporting myself since I was 13. Their drunk asses lived off unemployment—enough money for the bills and their alcohol. Not really bills, mostly alcohol," I began to explain as my eyes wandered anywhere but his. "It sucked, I won't lie. I was forging their signatures so my teachers wouldn't know. I was keeping up with every bill, making sure it was paid either by them or me figuring it out. I had to grow up fast. But hey, I'm here."

Justin squeezed my hand, showing me he was here to listen to anything I felt comfortable about opening up to him about.

"I'm sorry to burden you by all this," I apologized which is something I never do. I never apologize because I rarely feel guilty about shit. But right now felt like I was trauma dumping.

"Don't ever apologize, Avalyn. You can talk to me about anything." I don't know why he's so interested in getting to know me, but it's easier to talk to him than I ever would have imagined. I thought someone like Justin couldn't care less about hearing from someone like me. I thought my life would only stain his. But clearly he's here to listen.

"I don't want you to pity me. I'm not this fragile girl who needs your pity." My walls were going back up and he could tell. He brought my hand to his lips, placing soft kisses on each of my fingertips.

"What I feel for you is far from pity," he whispered making my heart struggle to beat. "Come here. I've got you something," he stood, dragging me onto my feet.