six

avalyn sparrow

Speaking to Justin about Seth made me realize I needed to do something about it and fast. I needed to clean up this mess and I needed to do it properly because as patient as Justin is, I didn't expect him to be okay with me being in between him and Seth. So I decided Seth and I could meet in a public place like a cafe.

The beginning of our coffee date was good. We were two civilized adults simply catching up on missed time. Then a switch flicked in his head when I mentioned we should go separate ways. I wasn't sure if I was supposed to include Justin in my reasoning, but I've been wanting to leave Seth since before Justin. Justin wasn't the driving factor in this decision. The driving factor was my well-being and self respect.

"So basically you're telling me you've met someone else?" Seth jumped to conclusions. In his mind there's no world where I leave him unless there's someone to replace him.

"I didn't say that. I'm just saying this time I'm serious when I say I'm not doing this anymore," the coffee mug in my hands served as a thermos. If I were to tell him about Justin, I don't know how pissed he'd be. But he didn't need to know.

"Why Lynn?"

I panted in disbelief. "You're seriously asking me that question? You think I've enjoyed you taking advantage of me for the past three years is my idea of a relationship? I have problems at home, I don't need them with you too." I finally had the confidence to express how I really felt and it was liberating.

"I don't know what the hell to tell you. Did you bring me here to talk about this in a place where I can't touch you for pissing the shit out of me?" He leaned closer and spoke quietly. I was scared and had to remind myself he couldn't touch me here. That didn't take away the huge lump I felt at the back of my throat.

"That's exactly why I'm ending things."

"Look, I've heard what you want, I'll make some changes. I'll do better," he said as if I was asking him to change. The least of my worries was whether Seth was going to change. I wanted him to no longer be a problem of mine. If he wanted to do better, he could do it for himself.

My attention went down onto my lap when I received a call from my mother. I was doused in worry because my mother rarely calls me. Honestly, I rarely see or talk to either of my parents anymore.

"Hello?" I answered, receiving no response on the other end of the phone. I was about to end the call when I heard the loud crying. "Mom."

"Avalyn, he beat me and...and I'm bleeding. There's blood everywhere," she stumbled over her words and I could feel my heart crumble. I'm not close with my mother, but I have been on the other end of my father's raft and it's scary. "He's gone. He just left me here to die."

"Okay. I'm coming mom. Give me ten minutes," I grabbed my bag before leaving without even telling Seth why.

I went outside, waving my hand for a cab. One finally stopped and I told him the address as he drove there. This wasn't the first time my father has done something like this to my mother or I. But this was the first my mother has ever called me crying. My throat felt like it was closing in and I couldn't breathe. The unknown of what I would be walking into was scaring me more than anything.

"Thank you. Here. Keep the change," I handed the driver the only bill I had which was much more than what the cab ride actually costed.

Rushing to the front door, I was hit by the smell of blood and alcohol. It was everywhere. My legs were hesitant about letting me continue further into the home. But I inched closer into the house, breathing through my mouth to avoid the foul smell.