ten

avalyn sparrow

When Justin kindly asked me to join him at the studio, I couldn't say no. Especially after he'd made me breakfast that one morning. I'm a woman of my word and I promised I would eventually go.

Part of me was worried to go. So far we've managed to keep our relationship relatively private and are in a tiny bubble of our own. Being at his studio seemed serious. The people he works with have heard of me and finally have the chance to put a face and a name to the person Justin has been spotted with. The idea of this made my stomach twist in a knot. I'm not a nervous person, but I was nervous.

I wasn't doing a good job at hiding my nerves. I was holding onto Justin's arm tighter than I usually do when we entered the building he records in. Kissing the top of my head, he greeted the receptionists before we stepped into an elevator.

"I like seeing you nervous. You never hold me like this," Justin whispered when he brought hair behind my shoulder. I let out a breath, trying to laugh but it came out more like a whimper. "It's just my manager, an engineer and a producer. There's usually more people but I told them I wanted as little people as possible."

"Okay," I said as he pulled me out of the elevator. Walking down a hall, he opened a door where there were three guys waiting. Their faces lit up like I was the newest thing they've laid their eyes on. They were all older, maybe in their mid 40s. Justin introduced me to each of them and I put my hand out to shake their hands.

Within moments, Justin hopped into this soundproof booth with a glass in between. I sat on a sofa in the room while the engineer and producer did what they do best. I was getting a behind the scenes special and planned to enjoy it.

"I am still in shock that Justin has kept you from me for months," his manager shook his head with laughter. He offered me a coffee that I brought into my cold hands. He sat on an arm chair beside me

"Yeah. I like my privacy," I attempted at conversation.

More than ever, being with Justin has made me private. I didn't want to doubt myself, but deep down I felt like I wasn't good enough for him and the public would be quick to remind me. Regardless of how much Justin can try, he wouldn't be able to protect me from the hate and neither could I. Once things go public, there's no stepping out of it.

"He better be treating you well," he smirked glancing at Justin in the booth then me. Justin's eyes met mine and my heart stopped. I hate what he does to my heart.

Just looking at him makes my heart swell and fills me with joy I never thought I was capable of feeling. It makes me feel like everything I've been through is worth it because it somehow landed me here with him. Here with this man that texts me good morning every morning and genuinely cares about my well-being. Here with this man I can see having a permanent place in my future and it scares me because I've never felt these emotions before.

"He does," I finally answered.

Justin treats me like I'm some kind of princess even though I feel so undeserving of his kindness. He respects me which is all I've ever wanted from a man and never thought I'd get that.

I cleared my throat when my emotions were for some reason turning into tears. I looked away from Justin and instead looked at my phone that rang on my lap.

I set my coffee on the coffee table. "I'll be back," I stood from my seat to leave the room. 

"Hi."

I bit the insides of my cheeks, having my blood slowly heat up after hearing my mother's voice. A few days have passed now since she's discharged from the hospital, but I have avoided her at all costs. Justin's apartment is closer to school, so when I have classes early mornings it's easier to stay there. I don't tell my parents much of my whereabouts and I didn't think they cared much.