twelve

avalyn sparrow

My eyes scanned the store filled with lace attire. The store made me feel small which I'm sure is the opposite of how it's supposed to make women feel. But it was my first time here and it made me realize how inexperienced I am in the sex department. Elena insisted I buy lingerie for Justin and I's trip. I didn't think it was essential, but Elena crept her opinion into my brain and now I feel like I need it. I never thought a man would ever make me want to feel sexy. Justin makes me feel sexy without even trying. Buying lingerie would be a nice surprise and change for the both of us.

Seth and I's relationship started off like a real relationship. But that was when we were teenagers and didn't know much about sex. When he started becoming more sexually confident, I was left behind. I never wore lingerie when we had sex so I know nothing about it.

"What do I get? I don't even know if he likes lingerie," I expressed to Elena as we walked through the store. Despite being the same age, she's like an older sister. She seems to know everything about sex.

"He's a man. All men like lingerie," Elena responded while we searched racks for something I liked. The store was cute, modern and pink.

Elena chose everything for me. A bodysuit, some thongs, some bras and garters. I couldn't argue because they were beautiful and I hoped they looked as good on me as they do the mannequins.

"What will you be sleeping in?" She turned to me, my arms becoming heavy from the sets I was carrying. She was going over board. If she could, she'd have me buy everything in a store. I had to remind her we're working on a budget.

"A t-shirt?" The answer seemed obvious but she looked mortified and rushed off to a different section of the store.

"You need a night gown, pyjama sets and a robe," she handed me a lace flowy gown that ended half way down my thighs. She was adding unnecessary stress. This is supposed to be a vacation, not a runway show. I could wear a trash bag to dinner and I know Justin would still compliment me. But if I argued on the matter, she would freak out. She knows relationships better than I do so I trust her. "When you're there, make sure you ask him about Julie."

"Julie?" I asked, feeling my arms go numb from how long I was holding this stuff. Him and I haven't spoken about her in months.

"Justin doesn't really do relationships and he had one with her for eight months. You should find out what happened," she explained further but Justin's previous relationship seemed like none of my business. I don't care about Julie. She's no longer in the picture and I trust Justin, regardless of whether relationships aren't his thing. But Elena's fixation with celebrity drama was seeping into my head because maybe I should be worried.

"Hi, excuse me. Can I please get a photo?" A young girl around my age approached us. I looked at Elena who didn't look confused at all. In fact, she looked excited.

"Sorry, I think you have the wrong person," I emphasized then walked away to the cash register. Elena stayed back to talked to the girl until I was done my checkout. The total made my heart sink, but I wasn't going to let it bother me. It was worth it and I could figure it out.

"What's wrong with you?" Elena playfully slapped my shoulder when we got outside. I looked at her funny, not understanding what she possibly could be bothered about. "Just because you ignore Justin's fame, doesn't mean his fame is also ignoring you."

I would be stupid to believe all the pictures of Justin and I didn't have my face in them. But is it stupid to believe no one would give a damn enough to ask for photos with me? I understood the staring and pointing, but why ask me for a photo? I'm a normal person just like them. What do they gain from a photo with me?