twenty two

avalyn sparrow

My face dug deeper into the pillow when my body slowly started to wake up. The harder I tried to go back to sleep, the more I fell out of it. I shot my eyes open, seeing the pair of legs right in front of me. Without looking up, I knew Justin was standing here like a weirdo. He wore no pants and sitting up would put me at eye level with his bulge.

"Why are you watching me sleep?" I sat up, rubbing my eyes before looking up at him.

"I thought you left," his voice was soft. "Why are you sleeping on the couch? I have guest rooms," Justin informed me. I really didn't think I would be here this morning. I thought I could tuck him in, sleep for a bit then leave before he wakes which is why I chose the couch. Clearly my plans failed.

I removed the blankets and stood up. "How do you feel?" I asked, referring to his hangover.

"Good now that you're here," he chose the cheesy response that was repulsive. I walked past him and went up the stairs to his bedroom to get ready. He surprisingly didn't follow which disappointed me a little because I miss getting ready with him. But when I went downstairs he was still there except now a housekeeper was in the kitchen cooking breakfast.

"Good morning, Miss. Sparrow," she glanced at me with a smile.

"Good morning," I went over to Justin who was making coffee for himself. I stole the mug from him then took a quick sip. I always try to convince myself I can like black coffee if I really try but it never works. Kissing his back, I ran my hand up and down his arm to feel the definition. "Do you wanna talk now?"

He agreed, holding my hand while we went outside to his balcony. It's large with a pool and hot tub and seating area.

"Tell me about how you've been feeling about your grandfather," I sat beside him on the sofa. Bringing my legs onto his lap, he pulled me close. We talked about his grandfather's death a little bit on the flight to Ontario, but he never went into depth.

"I don't want to talk about that, love," he took a sip of his coffee then set it on the coffee table. Things were weird and I wasn't sure how we were supposed to start off this conversation.

"So you miss me?" I blurted out my first thought which probably wasn't the best. But he chuckled and smiled at the ground.

"Of course I miss you, Avalyn. What kind of question is that?"

"We didn't talk for a while. And when I found out you were just partying, I thought it was because all the travelling together made you realize how boring I am and you were tired of me," I shared my feelings which wasn't easy. It meant being vulnerable and I hoped it wouldn't come to bite me in the ass. But Julie's words were stuck in my head.

"You are far from boring. If anything, our travels together made me realize I am deeply in love with you and if I could, I would spend the rest of my life with you and make it happen right now," his hand went to the side of my face, his thumb going against my lips. My cheeks warmed up and tingles spread through my body. A lifetime is a long time and it's not something I've put much thought into.

"I've never done this before. I feel like you not opening up to me was my fault because I make everything about me. I don't want to make everything about me to the point where you can't even share your problems with me."

"That couldn't be further from the truth and I never want to hear you say that again. It's not your fault at all. I handled my emotions poorly and I wish I would've just talked to you. But I also wish you would've just talked to me," his hand never left my
face and I didn't want it to.

"I feel like when I tell you my problems, you think I want you to fix them. Sometimes I just want you to listen and let me handle things on my own. I want you to trust that if I ever needed help I wouldn't hesitate to ask you, otherwise I'm okay," my fingers traced the tattoos on his chests, sliding them down to the lining of his boxers.