unexpected surprise

Lily's pov

I run my hands through my damp hair with a contentful sigh, James has been gone a while but I'm not expecting him to be back anytime soon as he'll more than likely have gotten distracted talking to someone. Wiping the last of my makeup off i put on my pajamas and go back into my bedroom. I'm just about to reach for the door to James's when i hear a loud crash from downstairs. i jump and immediately grab my wand from my bed, carefully creeping over to my slightly open door. Its all quiet as i peer out into the hall and i start to relax just a little as i step out fully, making it to the top of the stairs before there's another noise. this time it is Mr Potters voice shouting out and i see flashes of clour and spells flying through the air downstairs as well as the muffled sound of other shouts and things being broken. Racing down, i speed into the kitchen where i see Mr and Mrs Potter in full defence mode, I've never seen them like this and although i have been told countless time by the boys how incredible they are in a fight it's almost hard to believe until you see it. They're battling three people in black cloaks and masks, concealing their faces. and just as i see Mia's eyes meet mine I'm struck back by a hard blow to my ribs, i stumble a little but regain my balance and point my wand out in front of me "Expelliarmus" i yell ducking under and another spell that is fired toward me. The death eater fights back and we end up in the hall where i see three more appear, the shock of them here at all is overwhelming, i have been told time and time again that you cannot apperate into this house, a number of defensive spells on it should make it impossible. i escape into an empty room and hear Mr.Potter shout out but i only have a small chance to pause before suddenly all the lights are shut off. 

I watch from the window as the front door flies open and Mr and Mrs. Potter are soon outside, surrounded by the flying black orbs that are sweeping through the air, from the sight of only 3 of them i know that there are at least 4 more in the house. I open the door as quietly as possible and sneak across the hallway towards the conservatory, crouching down behind the breakfast table to try and see where they are. I hear multiple pairs of footsteps and hold my breath until they pass through, one of them walks outside through the french doors and the other two continue through the house. breathing deeply i turn and fall back from the shock of a dark silhouette in the moonlight and a hand covering my mouth. "shhh shh its okay it's just me" "Sirius" i gasp quietly as he takes his hand away. "Where are James and his parents" he asks, eyes wide and pleading. "James went back to the wedding and Fleamont and Euphemia are outside......wait, what about Hannah?" i ask reaching out and stopping him from leaving. "i already aperated her back to Alice's when i saw the first death eater" i nod in understanding and stand up to follow him. i nudge his elbow and motion to the right telling him that I'm going to go that way, he mouths 'okay' and goes to the left. turning the corner to the kitchen i see a figure and immediately raise my wand "stupify" i yell sending them to the ground. Two more show themselves and i back up slightly ready to fight "LILY GET DOWN" James's voice rings out, i drop to the ground as a spark of red light flashes past me. The boys run in, Sirius as well fighting off the evil cloaked figures as James runs to me, he picks me up of the floor and keeps hold of my arms "wheres my mum and dad" he asks, having to shout over the noise "Garden" i yell back before we both run towards it. "Fumos" One of them yells so that the whole area fills with smoke making it hard to see. 

We struggle through, James slightly in front of me and get out to just 3 death eaters but as we come through the door one fires a spell as James, lifting him off the ground and throwing him backwards 5 feet, his want flying from his hand. I lift my wand ready to attack just as i hear a familiar spell. "sectum sempre". Everything seems to go in slow motion for the next ten seconds. i look to James and see his face drop, him clearly remembering the spell and what it does, without snape there's no way to stop the continuous bleeding. He takes one glance at his dad and lunges forward in front of the curse, i reach out towards him but i know there's no way to stop him. Instead, i dash in front of them both of them and stretch my arm out "protego" the spell is obliterated and as Sirius and Mrs Potter race over the death eaters disappear completely leaving us all breathing hard and staring at each other in pure shock. James stands while his mum helps his dad up and walks forward to me, taking my hand in his. "thank you" he whispers to me. I don't need to reply i just squeeze his hand to let him know that he doesn't need to be thankful. 

"i thought they couldn't get in here" Sirius blurts as we all gather in the kitchen. "they're not supposed to be able to" Mrs Potter says angrily. "they're getting stronger". "we need to inform the ministry of the attack, everyone stay here" James's dad tells us going to leave with his wife but pausing at the door. "and James" he sighs looking at his son "i don't know what that spell was but next time.....you let it hit me." he doesn't wait for a reply and walks out. 

We all stay very quiet until a large brown owl flies over the window, i let it in and take the note from it, reading whats written on the other side quickly "so?" Sirius questions me. i place the note down on the table "its started....he wants to see us as soon as possible. The Order of the Pheonix is formed tonight"