What might of been

Lily's pov
I stare at the page in front of me for the last time and place my pen down, finally finished with the work I've done. We've been getting less and less work to do out of lessons with exams approaching and this was my last price for potions so I wanted it to be good. I take a deep breath and can't help but smile, reminiscing over how much I've liked potions this past year, professor Slughorn really has made those lessons for me, I should get him a gift. 

"AGHHHH" I hear groaned from the other room, I turn and wonder over to where the sound came from. "Struggling" I laugh lightly, walking over to James who's sat with his head rested on the desk on the blank piece of parchment I gave him. "Yes" he wines not looking up at me. "Oh James" I chuckle running my left hand in a soothing circular motion on his back "would you like some help?" He nods and looks up at me "yes please" he frowns.

"See that wasn't so bad was it" I smile patting him on the head and ruffling my fingers through his hair. "Yes" he states sneering at my comment. "Well it's done now"
"Thank God" he breaths relaxing back in his chair and letting his head fall back so he's looking up at the ceiling. "It'll all be over soon" I tell him as I start collecting up the books, pieces of spare parchment and his quill. "Yeah then we just have to you know...fight in a war" his words catch me off guard a little and I flinch, dropping the small ink pot and causing it to spill all over the table, James's automatically sitting up at it hits the wood. "Damn" I mumble placing the books down and starting to mop up the ink with a cloth that was on the table. "You okay?" He asks frowning at me as I clean up the mess. "Yeah fine" I say quickly, "I'll take these up stairs" I finish wiping up the last of the ink and pick up the books before heading straight for the stairs.
I close my bedroom door behind me and take a small breath as I sit down on the bed....I can't help but jump at  term 'war' being used so lightly and with everything that's going on right now how couldn't I be nervous.

Knock, knock, knock "lil" James voice calls in a sweet and calm voice. "Yeah...come in" I reply shaking off the uneasy feeling and standing up just as James opens the door, his soft caring gaze meeting mine. Instead of saying anything, instead of asking me again what's the matter or trying to pry my feelings out James does the one simple action I need most, he walks straight over without hesitation and pulls me straight into his arms. I bury my face in his chest and take another deep shaky breath "it's okay to be scared lil, hell its not exactly normal what we're going into"
"no....no it's not that...I..just" I struggle to find my words and even as I'm fighting to say what I want to nothing is coming out. James pulls away to look at me and smiles, his hands clasped gently around my arms. "What is it then?" He asks, his eye brows furrowing slightly. I look up at him and say what I've been trying to for 2 days, the words I've been so unbelievably terrified too, the ones that are going to change everything for us. "Lil?" He asks again, his tone getting more serious.
"I..I think I'm pregnant"