The Art of Asking

"Hey babe where are you running off to so fast." I call out as Emma rushes past me heading toward her locker. I grab her arm, probably with a bit to much force to pull her back to me, because she crashes into my chest almost painfully. I smirk looking down at her. She peers up at me a bit shocked, eyes wide.

"Zayn. Let go I have to go find Liam." She says squirming in my grip.

"How come?" I ask lowly pressing my forehead against hers.

"I uhh.. I..." She mumbles unable to look away. Smiling I press my lips against hers loving the high I get from the feel of her lips against mine. It's better than actually getting high because I'm fully aware of what is going on. She backs up a bit to put some space between us. "He's taking me home. That's why I have to find them. Now please... Zayn." She motions toward my arms around her waist. I don't know how they got there. I pull away catching her hand before she can rush off. I stare down at it running my thumb over her knuckles.

"Will I see you tomorrow?" I ask. She snorts.

"Of course. It's Friday. We still have school." She rolls her eyes at my idiotic question.

"I know I just... I mean I meant." I don't know how to word my answer without sounding completely infatuated with her very existence.

"Meant what Zayn?" She says staring at me in a way that makes me nervous.

"Will you want to see me." It's a statement not a question and I don't know how she'll respond to it. She remains expressionless.

"Do I have a choice?" She asks curiously.

"No." I reply a bit harshly.

"Then why are you worrying?" She slips from my fingers and I call after her saying,

"I'm not worryin'!" Her head swivels to look at me brown eyes glinting in the sunlight.

"And I told you to stop kissing me." She turns back around and her hair tosses itself over her shoulder. I force down my reply and watch her get swallowed up by the crowd.

-x-

My heart pounds In my chest as I walk away from him. Half of me is hoping he'll chase me down pull me into a classroom and kiss me til tomorrow. The other half, the sane part, wants to keep him as far away as I possibly can and maybe file a restraining order. Neither of those options sound right though. Sighing I run my hand through my hair and keep my head low, staring at the ground. I make it to my locker in no time. I fiddle with the lock before banging the heel of my hand against the edge of it. The locker shudders open. I pull out everything I'll need for tonight's homework and put away the ones I won't.

"Hey there you are." I turn around to face Liam with a smile.

"Hello Liam." I slam my locker closed. "Ready?" I nod and Liam leads the way through the crowded hallway out toward the parking lot. "So where's that boy toy of yours, Em?" I blush bright red.

"He's not my boy toy. He's not my anything." I don't know if I'm trying to convince him or myself.

"Tell him that." I let out a sarcastic laugh.

"You don't think I've tried that already? He won't leave me alone." At least he's not as annoying as he was in the beginning. The kissing is nice too. STOP. I grind my teeth and wait for Liam to reply to my lame excuse.

"I don't call kissing him trying very hard." He nudges me and it's weird. Everything weird. This teasing Liam. Being friends with Niall. Kissing Zayn. I couldn't stand it anymore.

"Yeah well you can just shut the fuck up Liam." i snapped. I wanted to eat my words. He looked confused and hurt. Then i didn't care. Damn right Liam. You dumped me. I shouldn't feel bad about cussing at you. We were already outside so i turned tail and headed in the direction of my house.