Between the Lines

I was sitting in the library after school. More of hiding out then actually doing work. I didn't want to talk to Zayn and have his friends laugh at me from afar. I just wasn't in the mood for it. First Niall has been following me around like he's some sort of lost puppy and I've told him I'm not a charity case dozens of times already but somehow it's not sticking with him. "I know you're not a charity case. Can't I just hang out with you?" He asked.

"No." And still he followed me, even offered to drive me home. I pictured his car. A red mustang. Very noticeable. People will start to wonder. Plus it probably smelled like weed. I politely declined. Niall nodded, pulled his backpack higher up onto his shoulder, bit his lip and walked away. I slammed my locker and looked around for Zayn. He wasn't in sight. Neither was Louis, or Harry. I booked it. The library was about a quarter full. Kids doing projects, reading, writing papers. I found a secluded table at the back of the library, out of sight from the front door.

Nobody would know I was here unless they physically walked all the way to the very back of the library. I opened my Gov and Econ book. I slept in class. I actually fucking slept in class. I asked Niall what we did later and Mr. Cunningham didn't lie. They didn't do much, but it agitated me that I had actually slept in class instead of doing work. I pulled my book closer and leaned over it. Force of habit. I don't need to wear my glasses but i felt like i should. I clasped my hands under the table, elbows on my knees while i skimmed over the chapter. I kept checking the clock waiting for the number to change. My mom would be here at exactly three and she would be very confused to find me not waiting outside the school. It was only two fifteen now. i rubbed my hands together, sighed and looked back down at my book. It was long paragraphs and no pictures. I wondered if i should even care but then i remember that i have to get out of here. Out of this shitty town and somewhere where i'll actually matter.

Slump! Oh no. "Hey." slowly i lifted my head and found Zayn sitting across from me. He had a smirk on his face. i tried not to groan.

"How'd you find me?" i asked shutting my book a bit nosily. I put my arm on the table and ran it through my hair leaning into my palm.

"Did you think coming in here would stop me from talking to you?" he said answering a question with a question.

"A girl could only dream." i mumbled. Zayn smirked and i watched his perfectly sculpted jaw move as he bit his lip. I'm guessing he hadn't shaved today but the stubble looked good on him. I looked down and pushed my book across the table and into my backpack.

"I asked some kids if they'd seen you. They all pointed me toward the library." he replied scratching his cheek. I really just wanted to reach out and run my fingertips down his jawline which i was swear could probably cut glass. Either that or i could smack him. He wouldn't expect it. It's genius really.

"Oh god. You actually asked about me?" i said closing my eyes and moving my hand to cover my eyes.

"Course babe." my eyes snapped open and i removed my hand to glare at him. "Don't call me babe." i warned him. Zayn just smiled again and cracked his knuckles. I watched the bird on his hand move as he did so. "Why did you come in here?" he asked. "Why did you follow?" i retorted. "Because i want to talk to you." he replied like it was the simplest thing in the world. I shook my head and rolled my eyes. "What?" he asked. "We can't just talk Zayn." i started to tell him but he cut me off with. "Course we can." i shook my head and pursed my lips. "No we can't Zayn. You can't seem to fathom it. I. Don't. Like. You. We can't just talk Zayn. I hate you. I don't want you near me. I don't know what the hell you want but whatever it is just get it over with and leave me alone." i grumbled. We got some curious looks from the other people in the room. Emma and Zayn at the same table how odd.