Chapter 30

We have stopped and all I hear are muffled voices. One is definitely Negan barking orders. We've been traveling for a while, maybe an hour, and my body was aching. I needed to get out and try to see where we were.

I slowly started pushing things out of my way. Trying not to make a sound, I crawled across the bed of the truck. I finally got to a point to where I could push up the tarp and possibly get out. Before I did anything, I found a hammer. If I needed it, I could use it as a weapon.

I slowly pushed up the tarp just ever so slightly. I peered out and saw Negan and his men walking away from the truck. We were all parked in the woods.

It was a risky move but I needed to get out and check things out a bit more before I got back into the truck. And I kinda had to pee.

I crawled to the other side and pushed out from under the tarp as fast as I could. I hit the ground with a slight thud. I paused to see if I heard any footsteps or remarks, but there was none. I peered around the trucks and saw that they were all in a group. Negan standing in with Lucille on his shoulder. Simon and Dwight stood by his side, intently listening to his words. 

I stayed leaned against the tire and checked my surroundings. It was already evening, and we were in the middle of nowhere surrounded by trees. We could easily get lost in here.

Remembering I needed to relieve myself, I glanced around and made a run for a tree. I hid behind it and made sure the coast was clear. Once I was done, I heard the roar of all of the trucks starting up at the same time. I poked my head out from behind a tree and found them all driving away in different directions. Shit!

I couldn't run directly after them because I would be seen. But I bursted into a sprint, making sure I stayed a few tree lines in so they couldn't see me.

I tried to keep up with Negan's truck but he was going too fast. But I couldn't be stranded out here. I ran as long as I could, eventually collapsing from exhaustion.

I laid in the leaves and dirt, my panting being the only noise. I had to find Negan again or else I'll be fucked. Because if he finds out I'm missing and he sends his saviors to find me... well it's not gonna end well.

Using this as motivation, I continued in a straight path for what felt like hours. The sun had began setting, making the eerie feeling even worse. Knowing I'd be roaming in the dark was terrifying. With only a hammer as a weapon, I could only hope for the best.

Crunching of leaves. Heavy tired footsteps. Chirping of insects. That's all I heard for a while until an ear piercing whistle sounded through the air.

I froze, then the whistle multiplied by what sounded like a thousand. I recognized that whistle, yet it still sent a chill down my spine.

The Saviors.

I followed the direction of the whistles that were replaced by a loud yet calm toned voice that I knew all too well. I walked closer and eventually saw an ominous glow on the trees up ahead. All of the headlights on the trucks were on and facing a certain direction.

I crept steadily towards the trucks, hoping to make no sound. But this is the zombie apocalypse, and nothing goes your way.

A branch snapped under my feet. I instantly fell to the ground, hoping no one saw me. I laid still until I saw Simon and another savior come around one of the trucks. They scanned the area and Simon ordered the man to check things out while he went back with Negan. As the man walked through the trees I slowly crawled behind one.

I needed to get away without getting caught. I watched his movements and his patterns. His eyes sweeping across the area infront of him. No acknowledgement for behind himself.

I waited for him to get closer to me. Once he was one the other side of the tree I stayed out of his view.

I couldn't kill him. Simon would realize he never came back. He would alarm Negan and he would would definitely find out who did it. Then I'd be as good as dead.

Suddenly, a low growl came from the other side of the tree. A walker had stumbled over to us without anyone noticing. The savior panicked and fell back to the ground. This was my chance.

I raced out from behind the tree and took off in the direction of the trucks. I dropped my hammer, letting it thud against the ground. I heard the man yell but it quickly turned into a war cry. I didn't turn back.

Once I got close enough, I slid behind a truck. I attempted to look through the window but it was far too dirty to see any detail. I could only notice a row of people in front of Negan.

I needed to see. I couldn't stand behind Simon and the others because he would surely see me. I quickly looked around and saw the RV. It was behind him, he wouldn't  see me.

I stood for a moment, trying to catch my breathe. Meanwhile I listened in on Negan. "I simply can't decide," he paused, taking a moment to think. "I got an idea," he chuckled maliciously.

"Eeny. Meeny. Miny. Moe." With my plan in place and my breathe caught, I darted behind the RV.

"Catch a tiger by it's toe." Knowing there should be a ladder on it somewhere, I began to search for it. Hopefully it hadn't rusted away.

"If he hollers, let him go." I found the worn ladder and began to climb up it.

"My mother told me to pick the very best one." The cold metal stung my hands as each one grasped a rung of the ladder.

"And you." I reached the top of the RV and hoisted myself up.

"Are." I quietly slid myself to the side of the RV so I could see what was about to happen.

"It," Negan announced as he pointed his bat at a man that was sitting up straight. He wasn't scared of him.

"If anybody moves, if anybody says anything, cut the boys eye out and feed it to his father. And then we'll start." I looked closely and realized he had bright red hair that contrasted with his piercing blue eyes.

That's when it hit me. There's no way. It's not possible. But it has to be.

"You can breathe, you can blink, you can cry, hell... you're all gonna be doing that." My breathe got caught in my throat as I watched Negan lift Lucille in the air, and slam it down into the mans head.

"Abraham!" I cried as I watched the love of my life crack open my brothers skull.

- THE END -
to part 1