chapter 1

I crept through the brush, trying my best not to draw any attention to myself. I wasn't strong enough to put up a fight anymore. I just needed shelter and some rest.

As I limped along I found a fallen tree next to a large boulder. It created a small nook that I could hopefully camp out in if it was needed. I decided quickly that I might aswell make this a temporary camp since it would be dark soon.

I waked around, gathering tree limbs and branches that I could use as a barricade for the night. Once I was satisfied with the amount and quality, I quickly sharpened the edges with my trusty blade and stuck them into the ground in front of my new camp.

I set down my backpack that was filled to the brim with supplies that I had found over the weeks. I dug around for my raggedy cans and wires. I strung it up around the camp, creating a security system for the dead. If they got too close, I could simply just listen and be prepared.

Once I got my bedding settled down and comfortable I pulled out a half eaten can of beans. I quickly dumped the rest into my mouth and savoring the taste, not know how long it would be until I found more. I slowly laid back into my nook until I suddenly heard a low growl coming from behind me. I quickly grabbed my knife, prepared for a battle.

That was when I heard a crack and a thump. I sat still, wondering if the dead had broken a limb and was crawling towards me now. That was all confirmed as false once I heard a low, raspy voice speak out, "what the fuck?" I heard the man say in confusion as I heard my can alarm system get rattled.

I normally would would've jumped out and defended myself against this stranger but I had no energy left and I was far too injured to be jumping anywhere. Instead, I listened to the soft crunches of leaves leading to the entrance of my hideout.

I was expecting to see a face but instead I saw a blood covered baseball bat wrapped in barbed wire. It dripped in the deads dark, unhealthy blood. I scooted further back, making sure the slugger wouldn't come into contact with my face. I held my breath, waiting to see the face of the wielder. After a heavy huff came from the stranger he ooked his head around roots i was sitting under. It was a man that had subtle salt and pepper beard. He had a slim face and from what I could tell light brown eyes. I would be lying if I said he wasn't handsome.

"Jesus, you look like shit," he announced, his eyes grown wide. Wow, he's polite. "What are you doing?" He questioned in a threatening tone. Not knowing how to respond I kept quiet. Apparently that wasn't the right answer because he repeated himself but in a more aggressive tone.

"H-Hiding," I admitted in a shaky voice. Only now did I realize that I was shaking in fear. I could feel my heartbeat slowly rock me back and forth as my hands shook and became cold.

The man that was once hunched over now straightened his posture, following with a noticeable lean back. With this body language of confidence led to a low chuckle. "Dwight, come look at this shit," he called. Quickly another man, presumably Dwight, had come over. He had long blond hair and a substantially large scar on his face. It was too dark to tell what it was from though.

"What do you wanna do?" Dwight asked the man.

"Bring her in," the guy with brown eyes ordered. The man named Dwight nodded, creating my assumption of the other man being the leader. Dwight came closer to me and I instinctively drew my knife towards him.

"Woah hey!" He warned, holding his hands up. "I'm not going to hurt you... I'm just going to help. You're obviously in a bad condition." Damn, how bad do I look?!

I put down my knife and allowed him help me up. I grabbed my backpack and he allowed me to gather my things. Once I did he grasped my arm with a firm hold and pulled me along in a certain direction. The leader was already ahead of us. We followed him as he carelessly swung his unusual weapon around like it was a toy.

What have I gotten myself into?