Chapter 17

Lily's POV

"So who were you in the beginning?" Negan asks as he takes a sip of his now warm stew.

"Well in all honesty I was a nobody. I was that one person that wouldn't really socialize with anyone. I liked to sit back and observe," I shrugged as I stirred my stew.

We were sitting outside of the sanctuary at one of the picnic tables. It was now dusk and the stars were starting to come out. It was honestly a beautiful night to just chat with someone. Especially if the someone was quite handsome.

"Well for me, I was a P.E. teacher," Negan responds with a shrug. I stifle my giggles but Negan still notices. "What? You can't imagine me bossing around some little shits to get off their asses?" He says with a chuckle.

"Well I can see that but I figured you'd be something more intimidating. Like an alligator wrestler or something," I say jokingly. Negan finds this humorous and he lets a real laugh escape.

"Listen," he begins with a more serious tone. He puts down his utensil and makes eye contact with me. I suddenly start to panic, thinking I did something wrong. My mind starts racing over the smallest things until he speaks again. "You were fucking awesome when you took down those walkers. I was wondering if you'd like to go on the run with us tomorrow," he asks me.

I feel my jaw unlatch but I don't let it drop. I was stunned. I felt like I had just got promoted to a new job. Which... is actually what's happening.

"From what I can tell, you aren't scared of shit when it comes to being out there." He he tilts his head towards the woods outside of his compound. I follow his gesture and stare at the swaying trees. "You were out there for a long time and you had more than enough supplies. And with those corpses, you had your own fucking strategy! Even some of my saviors haven't figured that shit out yet. So, are you gonna join me Tiger?"

I feel a smile creep onto my face when he uses "Tiger". I used to hate that nickname but when it comes out of his mouth it's different. But he must not know, so I purse my lips, making it look like I'm thinking. As I ponder, I watch as Negan runs his hand through his hair, trying to release some stress. 'He really wants me to do this,' I think to myself.

"Yes but," I begin with a smirk. Negan raises an eyebrow, signaling to keep going. "Only if I get a gun."

Negan returns the smirk as he looks down at our empty bowls. "I don't think I trust you enough for that yet," he says honestly.

"Come on," I say as I lean down so I'm in his view. "Please," I say as I bat my eyelashes at him.

He shakes his head with a chuckle. "Okay okay fine," he says while raising his arms in defeat. "Only for you doll."

This time I let the smile slip. "Well thank you sir. Nice doing business with ya," I say as I stick a hand out. Negan laughs once again and shakes my hand. "Alright let's go," he says as he picks up both bowls. Wow. What a gentleman.

As we walk to the building I open the door for him. Before we walk in he stops and leans down to my height. "You should smile more often. It's pretty fucking cute," he admits. Luckily he walks away before he can see the blush on my face.

I follow him to the bedroom corridors. Once we get to the hallway where we must split ways, we both hesitate. An awkward silence fills the air. I glance down at the ground and Negan stuffs his hands in his pockets.

"We are leaving by 7 so be ready," he says, breaking the silence.

I nod my head and look up at him, only to find that he was staring at my lips. Not knowing how to respond I try to back up in the direction I need to go. But if course, I can never make a clean get away without fucking up.

As I take a step back I trip on my own feet. I stumble back a bit but Negan wraps his arm around my waist. He pulls me up into his chest and my hands automatically rest on his chest.

"You okay?" He asks, looking down at me. I nod my head and words fall out of my mouth as I try to form an excuse.

"Yeah I uh, I'm good. Just clumsy ya know," I awkwardly chuckle. Negan chuckles along as he pulls me into a real hug. I embrace the moment, knowing that it will probably never happen again. And the odds of it happening now are beyond slim.

Negan backs away first and his hands go straight back into his pants pockets. "Well I'll see you in the morning. You better be up," he says as he turns away. He begins to walk off as if nothing had happened.

"I'll try," I say awkwardly as I begin to walk away as well. I go to take a look back at him and I run into someone.

"Watch yourself," the girl das before I recognize who it is.

"Sorry Sherry, just still confused on where I'm going." I shrug my arms but she just glares back.

"Sure," she says as she rolls her eyes at me. My eyebrows furrowed at her attitude but I didn't think much of it. All I could think about was waking up on time in the morning.