Try me// Chapter seventeen// Who's Aiden?

"I'm sorry, Riley. I didn't know it would go that far." Ethan apologized again.

I shook my head, "It's fine, Ethan. It's not like he actually raped me." I stated and he grabbed my hand with a sigh.

"I shouldn't have even left the room for a minute." He stated and rubbed my hand, "Something seriously could've gone wrong if I hadn't walked in with I did. I mean, you're still shaking." He said and I wrapped my hand around his.

"I'm fine." I locked eyes with him. "Did you get the money at least?"

He nodded, "Thank God."

"It's okay, Ethan." I sighed and he nodded. "Can I ask you something?"

He hesitated obviously, but nodded.

"If you hate doing this work so much then why do you keep doing it?" My voice came out quiet and he sighed before sitting down on his bed besides me.

"I have to. Your parents gave you a choice. I don't have that choice. Someone needs to take over and it has to be me."

I gave him a sad smile, "Ethan?"

"Yes, princess?" He sighed and my cheeks tinted pink at the nickname.

"What exactly happened to your mom?" I yawned and he gulped.

"That's a story for another time."

"Promise you'll tell me?" I asked and he nodded. "I'm sorry."

"For?" He seemed genuinely confused.

"My dad or someone from mayhem is the reason your mom is gone." I said quietly and he gave me a sad smile.

"If mayhem hadn't gotten her, the pills would have." He stated knowingly, "At least this way she had some dignity when she died."

"She was an addict?" I said in shock and he nodded.

"That's why I defended you at the party. I respect you." He nodded as he spoke.

"Why?" I said in shock. "Why are you only nice to me?"

"You intrigue me. Your family life is insane yet you're doing everything you can to get out of the life style you've been put into. And I have to admit, the drug thing at the party fed my curiosity." He admitted to me and I didn't know how to respond. "Why are you so against drugs?"

I sighed, "That's a story for another time." I mimicked his words.

"Promise you'll tell me?" He mimicked me with a grin and I nodded.

"I should get home before my parents realize that Zander and Jas were left alone." I sat up and he nodded before motioning for me to follow him.

"So, that song you and Jasmine wrote was about Zander?" He asked once we were in his car.

"Yeah." I stated, biting back a laugh.

"Can I ask why your ex boyfriend is staying at your house and living with you for a month?" He cocked an eyebrow.

"Family friends. They don't even know we've dated." I explained and he nodded slowly.

"What did he do?"

"Cheated." I replied bluntly and he was taken aback for a minute.

"Damn you sophomores are wild." He murmured and I rolled my eyes as I rubbed my arms. Like he of all people can judge us for being 'wild'. "You cold?"

I found myself nodding and he tossed me over his leather jacket. My mouth gaped, "You always have this on."

"Just give it back to me tomorrow." He shrugged like it was nothing, "No big deal."

"Okay then." I murmured and slipped on the jacket that was at least five sizes to big for me. "Stop here." I said to Ethan and he nodded coming to a park.

I climbed out and thanked him for the ride before I slipped on my backpack and began to walk down the street to my house.

"Yo here she is. Where were you?" Dante asked with narrowed eyes and called my brothers over.

"I got stuck in art class with Ms. Baker trying to find a theme for a normal song. Jasmines and I is too 'provocative'." I found myself lying, "We went passed the bell like ten minutes."

I walked past them after they nodded but Gabriel stopped me, I turned with a sigh, "Yes?"

"Where'd you get that jacket?" His eyes slit as I was halfway up the stairs. My mom walked in the room and her eyes darted to me too. Her face dropped, as did jasmines.

"Lost and found." I replied bluntly then went up a few stairs, out of sight.

"I highly doubt it. She's a good girl, Noah." Rhiannon said to my mom.

"I know. But what if she gets dragged into something? She's too young to be dating."

Rhiannon snorted, "Honey you had your first boyfriend at fourteen."

"And look where it got me." I could hear the eye roll and sassiness in my moms voice as Jasmine crept down besides me.

"Relax. Every girl goes through a phase like this. Even jasmine will. It's about time for them to have an Aiden and Asher." Rhiannon sighed and Jasmine and I exchanged looks of confusion. "It's a phase. It'll pass. And besides, for all we know she might've actually gotten that out of the lost and found. Has she ever lied to you before?"

"No." Mom sighed in relief and I suddenly felt guilty.

"Exactly. So cmon." We heard their footsteps face away.

I looked up at Rhiannon and she looked just as confused as me. "Who's Aiden?" She shook her head, "I know about all my moms love life and it was always my dad. I've never heard about an Aiden before."

We sat on the stairs in confusion, as we tried to figure out who this 'Aiden' guy was. Neither she nor I have ever heard that name before besides this kid in our second grade class.

"Come on." She grabbed my hand and led me up the stairs to my room where Zander was chilling on my bed, texting away at his phone. "Zander." She said and he looked up at her with a bored expression. "We have a new task."

"Ooo." He jumped up, suddenly intrigued.