21. MEET DADDY

MIGGY

MIGGY

I was ushered to the guest room. It's not the same room that they let us slept in a year ago. It's a bigger one. Tita Lettie urged me to approach my "girl". I smiled at her and thank her. I went in the room. It was dark. The blinds are shut and the curtains are drawn. I stood there adjusting to the dark room. Where is she? I looked around the big room and I couldn't see her. Then I saw her. Her back to me, she is lying down on the bed. If I did not know she is pregnant, I would not know that she is.

"Krista?"

She did not move. I called her name again and she still did not move. I walked over to her and I saw that she was sleeping. I could not see her tummy yet as it was covered by the thick comforter. I looked at her face and she was peacefully sleeping. I sat on the bed and I ran my finger on her cheek and I felt it was damp. She has been crying. I wanted to lie down and wrap my arms around her but then I wouldn't like to scare her. Istead I whispered her name again.

"Krista?"

"Hmmmm."

"Baby, I'm here now."

She blinked and looked at me.

"Miggy?"

"Yes, Baby it's me."

She blinked again and looked at me.

"Miggy?

She placed her hand on my face.

"Miggy? Is it really you?'

I took her hand and pressed it to my face. I rubbed my cheek against her hand. I know she could feel the two days old stubbles.

She closed her eyes and mumbled, "No, you're just a dream again. Please Lord, let him leave my dreams . I don't want him in my dreams anymore. Please Lord."

"Krista, open your eyes, look at me, baby. I'm here. I'm here to get you and the baby. Please sweetheart open your yes."

She sucked in her breath and slowly opened her eyes. My face was just inches away from her. She looked up at me and fresh tears were starting to spill from her eyes again.

"Miggy."

"Yes Sweetheart."

She tried to sit up but she had difficulty doing so. I turned on the lamp beside her bed and I Put my hand on her back for support. The comforter slid down to her tummy and exposing it in the process. That is when I first saw it. Something in me kicked. It felt like a lump is caught in my throat. The light from the lamp helped me see the face of the most beautiful woman I have seen in my life. She looked sad, hurt and thinner. There are dark circles under her eyes. Did I cause this? I pulled her to me, she pushed me at first but I did not let her. I hugged her until I felt she no longer resisted.