2. REBOOK

MIGGY

So after rebooking a flight to Nevada, I called my parents that I will not be spending Christmas eve with them. Instead I told them I will be arriving 27 hours late. My mom, as always was concerned where I will be sleeping, eating etc. She said that she could call her cousin in New York so they could still take me in. I told her that of course I would not like that. She knows that none of her children want to be imposing on other people. I told her that I am going to be in the Army soon and of course I know how to take care of myself. On the other hand, the airline was having a difficult time booking us in hotel rooms as there are no longer available hotel rooms in New York because of the storm and it's holiday so everything is full.

I looked at Miss Nevada who has stuck beside me. I guess she has been avoiding the crowd just like me and the only person she thinks is safe now is me. This is what Yuan always tell me. Girls, babies, women even the old ones feel safe when they are with me. What is that he told me? I have that charm that only the women see. Safe charm. They flock not because I look good or I look sexy but because according to him. I look safe to be with. That jerk. I miss that idiot. I wonder what he's doing now. He told me that he has yet to see the girl again. The one he met at the Ritz. He kept talking about her.

"Uhm, your name is Miggy right?"

Miss Nevada

"Yup."

"Where do you think all these people will stay tonight? Here at the airport?"

"I dunno. I guess. But I heard some are just waiting to be transferred to their hotels now. The airline was able to book them in hotels. Some of us are just unlucky. Does it bother you?"

"I am just bothered that some of the children will not be able to enjoy Christmas eve.:

She looks sad when she said that.

"Excuse me Sir Miggy."

I turned to look at a 50 something woman who was smiling shyly at me. I remembered she was one of those who approached me earlier. I smiled forgetting about Miss Nevada, what's her name again? The name the reporter called her? Ah Krista.

"Yes Ma'am?"

"Oh just call me Tita Lettie. We're from New York actually just right around here near the airport. Since the flights are cancelled, we were supposed to go to California and our flights are not until tomorrow afternoon and I believe yours too, since there are no available hotel rooms for stranded passengers, we are offering you and your girlfriend Ma'am.." She gestured at Krista. Oh no we're not together. We just bumped into each other, I would like to correct her.

"We would like to offer you our humble house for you to spend the night until your flight schedule that is.

:"Oh...uhm.."

"Don't worry Sir we will not tell anyone that you are in our house. And you are both safe there. You can even tell the secret service our infos. I live with my family, my husband, he's also Filipino. Our eldest son is now in Asia, he's a Navy officer. And our youngest son I s 14 years old."

"Oh, will it be okay if I ask my...uh... girlfriend if she wants it Ma'am?"

I looked at Krista who was already nodding her head when I turned to her. I smiled and turned to Tita Lettie.

"Uhm. much that I wanted to decline your offer, it looks like I am outnumbered. Thank you Tita Lettie. I will just inform my parents that I will be staying with you."

"Yes. Yes. Tell them you are staying with Mr. and Mrs Ramon Carreon. We are originally from Baguio City in the Philippines. Here is our card you can just tell them to verify it."

"Oh that won't be necessary Tita. But thank you so much for offering your house to us. By the way, this is Krista."

"Oh you are so beautiful, anak."

"Hmmmm thank you Ma'am." she smiled at Tita Lettie  "But what idoes anak mean?" she whispered to me,

"Anak means, my child."

"Oh that is so sweet."

I smiled at her.

"Let's go?"

"Yes Tita."

I took my bag and the large trolley case of Krista. She took her duffel bag but I took it from her and strap it to the top of her trolley. She wanted to protest but I looked at Tita Lettie and yes, Miss Nevada is not dumb ladies and gentlemen, she got what I meant. Instead of pretesting, she took my free hand and held it in her hand. I looked at her with a raised brow and she whispered that since they thought we're together, we might as well play the part well. Oh men, this girl is trouble. But admt it Miggy, you like it.

We followed the Carreons to the waiting van outside. Their nephew was there to pick us all up. We were introduced in the car and I learned that the nephew is my Uncle Nate's classmate in Ateneo high school. He told me to tell Uncle Nate that Tito Ron drove for me. He said that the last time Uncle Nate went to New York last year, he stayed at Tito Ron's house.

Krista was enjoying the Filipino hospitality so far. Oh wait when we get home to their house dear. You will love it more.