3. CHRISTMAS EVE

KRISTA
December 24, 10 pm

Carreon's House

Miggy and I were invited to stay at the Carreon's house in New York, just a few minutes away from JFK Airport. I learned that they are from the Philippines. Their son graduated from the USNaval Academy in Virginia. He is now a Naval Pilot assigned on a US carrier somewhere in the Pacific. I learned that "Tita" is the Filipino for Aunt and "Tito" is for uncle, sign of respect they say. They are no different from my family. My family is of Spanish descent and the Carreons are also like them. They told me that Spain colonized the Philippines before and so some Pilipinos have Spanish looks and traits too. Mr Carreon speaks fluent Spanish.

When we arrived at their house, they told us that we will be staying at their eldest son's room since he is not home anyway. Miggy protested and told them that it was okay for us to crash on the couches. But they said that he's the president's son so they will not take no for an answer. So we ended up staying in their son's room.

The room has one single bed. I mean if a couple will sleep on it. They need to sleep real close so they will fit. For me and Miggy, we're both tall so he said he will take the chair. The floor has no carpet so it will be cold. I did not protest. Or he will ask the couple if they do not mind him sleeping on their couch. I said Okay. We were not really talking. He turned on the tv and watched CNN. I told him I will take a shower. He nodded his head. Before I can getinto the small bathroom in the room, we both heard a knock. We looked at each other and he stood up to answer the door. It's Tita Lettie

"Miggy, the family is here and we decided to just have the Noche Buena. Please come and join us."

"Sige po, sunod po kami."

And the old lady left. Miggy turned to me and told me that they are inviting us to join their Noche Buena, a Filipino tradition of midnight feast to celebrate the birthday of Jesus. I have not tried it yet so I told him I was happy to join. He smiled. We went out together to join Tita Lettie's family. We were so surprised because I guess half of all the Filipinos in New York are in their house. They all fell silent when they saw us. I guess they did not know that we're here. Then one teenage boy said

"Ohemgee, it's Krista Cruz, Miss Nevada."

Everyone turned to me and they all gasp. Miggy was trying to hide his laughter. He looked at me. I ws like...you know an animal that was in the middle of a road at nightime and about to be run over by a car? That was how I looked. Hahahaha. I took Miggy's hand and tried to hide behind him when someone pointed at something over our head.
And everyone was cheering at us

"Huh? What?"

"Miggy and Krista you're standing under s mistletoe."

What! Mistletoe! Oh no! The kissing tradition.

"Uhm! Uh....." i looked at Miggy who was also blushing at the teasings of the people around us.

MIGGY

I looked at Krista who couldn't look at me. Why did we stop under the damn thing. All these people think we're a couple so they would think it would just be normal to be kissing. Oh hell!

"Come on guys, it's tradition, kiss! Kiss! Kiss"

"Kiss! Kiss! Kiss!"

I turned to her and pulled her from behind me. She looked at me when I titled her chin. She did not protest and she knew that I would kiss her. When I leaned closer we looked at each other and then I closed my eyes kissed her. She tasted good. She kissed me back. I would have gone on kissing her but I heard the cheers so I pulled away but before doing it I quickly snaked my tongue in her mouth.  When I pulled away, she looked at me and buried her face in my chest. I pulled her to me.

 I pulled her to me