47. The One Of Many Cracks

~ Just because the scars have healed, does not mean the pain has.
Just because the pain still exists, does not mean it will always~

More than a week had passed by but neither of them had any recollection of the dates or the days gone by. All that remained in their memories, bringing a stupid goofy smile again and again were the moments in between that they had spent soaked in their new found romance, an illumination of the love that rendered in their heart since forever but which came into view just now. Seeing them happy, others were also happy, especially Navya and Rishabh since they have always wanted their didu to be taken care of, like a princess and here she was treated just like a queen.  For both of them, Manik was nothing but an angel in disguise, who came into the world to turn it upside down for good. Kabir on the other hand, was happy not just for his brother but also seeing them happy gave him a peace he had been seeking since long.

MaNan to him was this hope that love exists and there could be a 'happily ever after' in this world of uncertainties too. He had been skeptical about love all his life.

Like Manik had, he couldn't keep himself positive while sailing through the hardships he faced. Kabir had become bitter by nature due to that but now his bitterness was changing into sweetness, all credit to the sweet cake like love story of his dear brother and the cherry on the cake being, Antara.

Antara, the name was enough to bring a smile on Kabir's face these days. How had he grown so close to her, he didn't know. But he knew that she was the only person who listened to him when nobody else did, who saw behind his 'cool dude' and 'joker' facade. Talking to her calmed him down and though the shy and reserved Antara was polar opposite to him, physics had anyways proved that opposite attract. And so like every other day, Kabir called up Antara in the evening, as he relaxed on the terrace with his hot chocolate.

"Hey! What's up?", Kabir questioned as soon as she answered.

"Nothing. Just teaching these small patakhas", Antara answered as she simultaneous checked the copies of her little students.

Antara had lived all her life in an orphanage. Being a bright student, she did her schooling and college on scholarships and now did a part time job alongside college to earn her living. After her work she home schooled her little companions at the orphanage, the basic pre-schooling to prepare them for the coming life.

" Yeah, like always. How do you manage the same age old routine everyday?", Kabir laughed at her.

"I am habitual to this life kabir. You have the luxury to do as you want, I don't", Antara answered very softly but Kabir could feel the longing and pain in her voice, though she never confessed it to him.

" Accha listen, can we meet today at marine drive? 9 pm? Please? We haven't met in two days", Kabir pouted and Antara laughed just imagining his expression.

"But why so late? I will be coming to college tomorrow na", she tried denying but Kabir was persistent.

" Please. Pretty please. Please", Kabir started chanting like a child and Antara started laughing loudly.

"Okay fine. Such a child you are Kabir", she agreed finally and Kabir smirked, after all today he would make her meet the child in her too. With a lot of plans in his head and a signature smile playing on his lips, Kabir got ready and left to meet Antara.

Nandini came home a little late, it was almost 10:30 at night. She was tired to the bones, ready to sleep at the door itself and it took a lot for her to somehow ring the doorbell. Manik opened the door and she smiled at him, even her smile screamed tiredness. Manik leaned in to peck her forehead first and then bending to pick her up in arms.

"Manik!", Nandini gasped as she felt her legs in air, "leave me, what will maa-papa think?"

"Nothing. I am pampering my wife", Manik didn't give a budge to her rantings and carried her upstairs. Softly putting her on the bed, he sat on his knees to remove her shoes. Nandini instinctively pulled up her legs.

"Manik, I will do. You don't need to do that", she spoke hurriedly as she tried unbuckling the straps but Manik's hand stopped her.

"I know I don't need to, but I do want to...", He stared in her eyes with a gaze that paralyzed her. He kept their eyes locked while he unbuckled her shoes and removed them, caressing her milky white feet. Moving a hand to her hairs, he unclipped the hair-clip, letting them fall loose. He then got up and took off her blazer making her more comfortable. Nandini, all this while, was staring at him in awe, at times thanking her stars and at times thanking him silently. Manik picked her up again, this time she didn't protest though, and kept her down in the washroom, where a bath tub filled with warm water and her favourite fragrance was waiting for her.

"It will help you relax. Freshen up, I will be outside", he cupped her face as he politely instructed her and she nodded.
He came out of the washroom, went downstairs, warmed the food and seeved it in two plates. Chinese rice with manchurian balls, her favourite of all seasons. He then made his way upstairs where Nandini was already sitting on the bed, in a comfortable tank top and trousers. He entered with food and smiled at her while she sat with a blank expression. Manik sat beside her and served the plates, took a spoonful and forwarded it to her. Nandini said nothing and ate the food in silence, her hands unconsciously moving to feed him too. After a hearty dinner, Manik kept the plates in the sink and returned with her favourite diary milk crackle in his hands.

Dimming the lights of the room and making her comfortable on the bed, he forwarded her the chocolate and her eyes twinkled at the prospect. She shared her dear to life chocolate with him pouting and making him laugh and in no time, manik had his arms around her as he kissed her good night.

Manik's sleep broke some time later when he heard some strange sounds- like a sound of muffled sobs. He turned to find Nandini's face buried in her pillow and for a moment he thought she was sleeping soundly but the soft shaking of her shoulders told the other story. He sat up horrified and switched on the table light.

"Nandini?",he called out, his voice alarmed and his demeanour confused. Nandini froze listening to his voice, her face still like she had been caught red handed. She turned towards him slowly, to find him looking at her, ardently. His brows furrowed as he gaped at her eyes full of tears. Manik extended his hand towards her and in the next moment, she was in his arms weeping. He rubbed her back and caressed her hairs soothingly while she continued to sniffle in his chest.

"Nandini? What's wrong? Why are you crying?", Manik asked softly and Nandini looked up to find him worried.

"I am sorry. I didn't mean to make you worry", she mumbled and Manik shook his head holding her close. He forwarded her a glass of water from the bed side which she accepted gladly offering him a small smile.

Manik looked at her amazed and yet increasingly worried. How easily had she dodged the question he asked her. But he also noticed the extra tight grip of her hands on the glass, her knuckles had turned white. She was trembling unknowingly and simultaneouly trying to stop the tears that were continuously flowing. And amidst all the chaos, Manik noticed something else too that was enough to take his breaths away. On the inner side of her left wrist were two deep cuts. Not hesitation cuts but neither were they suicidal. They were away from the viens enough to not cause heavy bleeding but they were still on the sensitive area of the wrist. They looked fresh and though it took him a few minutes to put two and two together, the realization made it difficult for him to breath. The cuts were nothing but self-harm cuts!

______________________________________
A/n : readers, kindly don't panic. I know what I am writing. Also this is not in anyways promotion of self harm. The coming chapters will help you understand nandini more and maybe then everything will make sense. Until then, kindly wait. Ask me if you are confused.
And yes, please remember that here its not like nandini has a past and its revelation and her breakdown will make things smooth. Things will now complicate. I hope you guys will enjoy the track and suport me too.
Thanku.