21. Manik Weds Nandini

~ From this day onwards you won't walk alone! My arms are going to be your home and your smile will be my peace~

Marriage is a big day for everyone. Of course it's more on a bride's part since she has to leave her home and move to a new house that she needs to turn into a home. Also from being the perfect daughter-in-law to a friendly sister-in-law and understanding wife, new responsibilities are bound to scare her off. But that doesn't mean the groom is any less afraid. The room that he had ruled for years would now be 'theirs' instead of 'his'. The messy cupboard needs to be cleared off. A new member is going to come to his home and on his responsibility. It is his duty to take care of her smiles and sorrows. The mumma's boy who used to call his mother even for a glass of water now is required to take care of someone else altogether. Isn't it frightening?

Well with all such chaotic thoughts, Manik was sitting in front of his mother and some other female relatives who were ready to shower him with water mixed with rose petals, sandal wood and other auspicious items. Haldi, kumkum and some oil was applied on him before the bath.This was a ritual known as mangalam snannam( purifying bath) that was followed in the tamilian tradition of wedding. After the ritual, he got ready in a white linen shirt and a white cloth with golden border wrapped around his waist with art an another white cloth hanging down his shoulder. No doubt he wasn't very comfortable with the outfit, but he was looking damn cute and ready to leave for the venue.

Nandini on the other hand was also awake by the dawn and sitting in front of her mother and other family friends and relatives for the mangalam snannam( purifying bath)

As the water descended down her face, an excitement started building up in her. It was after all her marriage. Done with the bath, she was quickly dolled up and she looked the prettiest bride ever in a red kanjivaram silk saree and other essentials. Soon she was taken down for the next ritual known as the gauri pooja! Here she was made to offer prayers to the holy goddess who is considered a symbol for purity for her happy married life.

At exact 6:30 in the morning, Manik entered the wedding venue and stood before the priest in charge while Padmini and other side of the bride family stood behind the priest. And with the most adorable face, he spoke the toughest words of the century.