22. Wedding Night

~ And when I had no hope even for the soothing touch of a petal, you showered me with bouquets...~

The car stopped in front of Malhotra Mansion and Nandini who sat the whole ride with her face hidden in his chest finally looked up at him. Manik smiled and wiped the drops off her chubby cheeks while she sat trying to calm the hurricane of emotions inside her. Five minutes later, the newly wed couple came down and stood in front of the door where Nyonika was standing with the widest smile to welcome the newly weds. Firstly, she took a glass of water and circled it around Nandini three times before handing it to her to drink. This ritual denoted that the mother in law accepts her daughter-in-law whole heartedly. Followed by which Nandini was made to kick, sarson ka tel or mustard oil, kept in containers on both sides of the gate. This paved the way for her entrance into her new home . Then she and manik were made to offer puja at the temple situated in the house and then the couple again took blessings from all the elders. This is also usually called as matha tekna ceremony in common use. 

Now the younger generation wanted to play certain games for entertainment but the couple was clearly tired. Hnece Nyonika dismissed all the cousins and other relatives with a request to let them rest since even the next morning would be full of rituals. Everyone reluctantly agreed and Nandini was taken to Manik's room, which was now officially theirs, and she sat in the bed filmy style. Manik was still downstairs and after a lot of negotiations and paying a heavy amount to enter his own room, he finally took a breath of relief as he entered his room locking the door behind. It would be their first night together, as man and wife. But Manik remembered his promise to her. They had decided to spend night below the stars, beside the waves, on the beach. But as he turned  he was welcomed with the cutest sight of his wife. Nandini who was tired with the wedding and her crying, had already dozed off.

Manik walked slow steps towards her and looked at her with all the love he had for her

Manik walked slow steps towards her and looked at her with all the love he had for her. Slowly he bent and took off the heavy jewellery she was wearing, though he was careful not to break her sleep. Except the chooda and the ear-rings which he didn't know how to open he removed all other heavy jewellery from her body and unfastened the heavy dupatta from her head. Smiling at her adorable face he removed the pins from her hair so that it could casade down, he then covered her with the duvet and Nandini feeling much more comfortable now, sank more into the warmth of the comforter. At that moment, she seemed just like a small baby sleeping without a single worry and Manik could not help but drop a small kiss on the forhead of her sleeping figure.

 At that moment, she seemed just like a small baby sleeping without a single worry and Manik could not help but drop a small kiss on the forhead of her sleeping figure

And then finally, he got rid of the heavy sherwani and changed into his night attire. He was also tired and sleepy but for a while his mind and heart fought amidst the choices.

The bed with her or the couch?

Will she be uncomfortable? Of course she would  be. But then they were husband and wife. If nothing, they could atleast share the bed. After a lot of struggle, Manik chose his heart, that saw Nandini's comfort over his and made himself comfortable on the couch somehow and the tiredness took over him soon enough as he slept off.

The next morning Nandini woke up first and as she sat up, her eyes moved towards the window of her room which she was habituated to and frowned on finding a mirror there. And then it struck her. She wasn't in her own room. She wasnt in her house. She looked at her side worriedly but the bed was vaccant. Hurriedly she scanned the whole room and found him sleeping on the couch, with a slightly open mouth and a wide smile. Her raging beats came back to normal and in that moment she realized that the whole hurricane inside her was because she didn't see him near her. An idiotic smile beautified her face on the realization. Dismissing the thought she stood up and then realized that the heavy jewellery and dupatta were missing from her and turned to find everything kept neatly on the side table. Even the hairpins that held the heavy dupatta on her head last night were kept properly. On the other hand his sherwani etc were thrown on the chair lazily. She chuckled at the scene and then went to freshen up. Half and hour later, she came out all ready in a pretty pink saree. The chooda in her hands and the vermilion on her head gave her an angelic look. Even she was astounded at how she was glowing. Manik was still asleep, hence she decided to go down and see if anyone was up. Descending down the stairs, she saw the entire house in silence, since everyone was asleep. As she came to the drawing room which was still decorated from last night, an unknown smile dolled her face.

" Nandini beta, you are awake?", Nyonika called from behind and Nandini turned.

" Yes aunty. I am habitual...", She replied with a smile and Nyonika slapped her forehead melodramtically.

" It's not aunty. It's Maa...", Nyonika said grumpily making Nandini chuckle.

" Yes Maaa...", Nandini spoke dragging the word and Nyonika laughed at her daughter in law.

Withing an hour, almost all the elders were awake and everyone was equally surprised to see the new daughter-in-law ready and already making tea. Everyone was impressed with Manik's choice. And then few minutes later, Manik himself came down in all his glory, his eyes frantically searching for his wifey and finally he spotted her serving tea to others. Seeing her a smile crept on his face which was noticed by Kabir who was standing beside his brother.

" She is beauty, isn't it?", Kabir whispered in his ear.

" Hmmm...", Manik said.

" She is so pretty....", Kabir said mishcheviously.

" Hmm....", Manik replied.

" And you are a road side romeo....", Kabir said suppressing his laugh.

" Hmm....Wait. what?", Manik replied and kabir broke into pearls of laughter.

" Kabir.....urgghhh", Manik said grumpily before chasing him in the whole living room taking others by surprise

"Boys, what's wrong?",Nyonika asked amidst the tom and Jerry fight.

" Mumma...Bhai agreed that he is roadside Romeo....", Kabir literally shouted and everyone burst into laughter while Nandini was embarrassed and so was Manik.

Few minutes later when the chaos settled, Nyonika patted Nandini on her shoulders.

" Manik, you have to take her to her maternal home today for pag phere and then return in the evening for the reception ceremony....", She spoke and Manik dutifully nodded.

Nandini got ready and both left for her maternal home, excitement and nervousness for this new phase of their lives clear in their eyes.

Both hoped, in their hearts though, for this to be their best phase ever!