38. His Scars~2

~Sometimes you don't realize the true weight of something you are carrying until you find its release~

Not all scars show. Not all wounds heal. At times, it's more than difficult to understand the pain someone feels throughout the day and yet, makes through it. You won't even know and the person standing right next to you with a 32 inch wide smile would be crumbling inside, shattering little by little each moment. Everything is not about speaking, few things are about understanding too. Isn't it?

Nandini slumped on the couch beside Nyonika who was weeping with her face buried in her hands. The last few months that Nandini had spent here as the daughter-in-law, had been peaceful and comforting. She had not even once witnessed the side of the picture which Manik was so dreadful about. And call it her sheer luck or the games of destiny, even yesterday night she wasn't there to witness that awful side, it was him, alone, to again be a audience to that part of the drama which hated with all his might, and she felt terribly guilty about it.

Directly speaking, the night that had passed by had witnessed a terrible fight amidst Nyonika and Raj which had turned into more than a heated argument, a dirty fight to be exact since neither of them backed off and did their best effort into proving oneself right. Just that they went overboard with things, even forgetting the fact that Manik was home and he could hear every word of the shit they were screaming. And as expected, they had no idea that he was there outside their room, shivering and trembling trying to conceal the storm raising inside him, or that he had went to the terrace to escape those horrendous shouts and breaking glass sounds. Or that he was running on high fever. It was Nandini who went to greet her mother-in-law with a cup of tea in the morning, actually late morning since Nyonika didn't come down until 10 am and found her sitting on the couch, weeping. Raj was not around. And that was how Nyonika told her in bits and pieces what had happened and Nandini was smart enough to understand the rest.

It all made sense now.

His blank face.

The pillow in his hold in the morning.

The frowns on his forehead.

His reluctance to leave her.

His fever.

She thought about the night when Manik had opened up to her about his family after Kabir's breakdown.

How she wanted to wipe off everything from his mind and relieve him of this stress, but she knew somethings were not to be hoped for. So after consoling a terrified Nyonika who was guilty enough to not know about Manik's health she came back to her room, only to find him awake and staring at something in space. She went near him and sat beside him.

"Feeling better?", She asked leaning in and checking his temperature with the back of her hand pressed against his forehead.

" Better. You came na, that was all I needed...", He smiled at her and she smiled back, seeing how efficiently he was trying to hide everything that she was sure was killing him.

"Since you have no temperature now, I am bringing you lunch and then we are going somewhere. So get ready...", She spoke getting up from the bed and moving towards the door but before exiting she turned and smiled.

"Before you ask me where young man, just know its called a surprise because it intends to be one..",she spoke running out of the room and he chuckled at her baby behaviour.

Post lunch, Nandini rechecked Manik's temperature which was almost normal and even the paleness in his face had decreased. Hence, they left for the 'surprise' with Nandini driving and Manik sitting beside her. He was constantly nagging her to disclose atleast where they were going but she sat tight lipped. He made faces, cribbed and finally burst out laughing at the adorable faces she was making to keep from smiling. Finally she halted the car and the board outside read- 'Hope that heals'.