24. Redefining Intimacy~2

~ and in that moment, everyone and everything stilled, because in that one heartbeat, I felt the love I was deprived of all these years....~

" I always thought it was only their egos until one day when...", He trailed off again, and by the visible clenching and unclenching of his jawline, she could tell it was a painful memory, something he had buried deep inside. Not knowing what to say, she rubbed his arm and he relaxed.

"One day, or rather night, I woke up thirsty for water and came down for water. I saw the door of my parents bedroom open and out of curiosity or what I don't know, I peeked in. That was the worst memory of my life. My parents were abusing each other for ruining their lives. And that was when dad screamed at mom that if it wasn't for me and Kabir, he would have divorced her much earlier. And mom retorted back by saying that even she didn't look on to stay with him. I was still glued to the door when I felt Kabir standing beside me. And in that one night, our lives changed when mom packed her bags and left us without a word", the wind brought him out of his trance but his gaze was still fixed on the sea, it's waves and nothingness.

" Kabir was 14 at that time. He couldn't handle the situations and was hospitalized. That was when he got his first panic attack. He was calling for mom and dad was still adamant not to inform mom. But when even two shots of injection couldn't calm him down, I snatched the phone from the receptionist and informed mom. She came as soon as she could and handled kabir. The child psychologist called us and ordered mom and dad to look over their issues for both of us. They agreed. Basically they didn't have any other option. Mom came back. The family was together again, superficialy though. It did instill a fear in Kabir, of his loved ones going away, and he still gets those panic attacks sometimes, like that day earlier. Mom and dad over these years, have calmed down. It's more like they don't bother much what the other is doing. Happy in their jobs and life, kinda. We know that, but we both, chose to overlook that and cherish the fact that atleast we are all together. Though bonded by a tiny and weak thread, we are together. A happy family in the media portals and the buisness parties. And I have always been indebted to them about the fact that they chose to stay together, just for us. They could have been happier but for us, for me and Kabir they chose to be here. This is why, maybe, I stopped worrying them, with my own issues and fears and whatever. And over all these years, I realized that the kind of extreme emotions I have, is a burden for people. May it be my parents or my friends, and hence I decided to not bother anyone more. A smiling face is always relaxing to see. I opted that. And I felt with experience that it was better to suffocate alone that to strangulate others with you too. And that was why I didn't react in the morning...! I thought my emotions would trouble you", Manik finished and Nandini was frozen. She couldn't believe all these was true.

Manik on the the other hand, was relieved. He had never shared about his troubled family with anyone. He had always kept it in his heart- his safe secret. And today, spilling the beans, he felt peace. But at the same time, he was insecure.

What if she didn't understand? What if she stopped respecting his parents? No matter what he loved them. And while all kind of negative thoughts were ready to busrt his head, he felt her calm fingers ruffling his hairs. What was special in her touch, he couldn't decipher but his heart felt his home and he quietly laid down with his head in her lap, on the sand itself.

"Manik, it's okay. You don't need to be ashamed or skeptical about it. It's okay. There are more broken or dysfunctional families than normal ones. Loosen up...", She said slowly massaging his shoulders and some time later she felt his the tension in his body relaxing. He turned and hid his face in her stomach and just seconds later, she could see his body shaking and trembling. Her dress was getting wet. He was crying. And she let him.

Because somewhere these weren't the tears of her husband, Manik . These were the tears of that 16 year old Manik who saw his dream of a happy family shatter into a million different pieces. These were the tears of that small boy who saw his role models change his perception about the world, but couldn't share his sentiments. These were the screams of the small boy who had to be a parent to his younger brother at a tender age. No one asked him his fears, his emotions, his feelings. Having his parents by his side and yet knowing that they are not happy, his heart cried a million times but he remained still. No one told him that he always didn't need to hide his vulnerabilities and emotions. Yet he chose smile and positivity and didn't let himself succumb to the darkness that haunted the world. And today, the years of bottled fear and exhaustion that he had so successfully hidden in his heart had came out in front of her. And hence, she let him.

Minutes rolled into hours and soon the sun could be seen struggling to rise, amidst the clouds. The birds started chirping and singing songs welcoming the new morning.

" Manik, it's morning....", Nandini called him slowly and manik looked up at her. And he smiled. The Millon dollar, Manik Malhotra smile.

" It's the actual morning in my life...", He spoke slowly, his voice hoarse from all the crying. Nandini looked at him, without blinking. And in that moment she realized, love or not but this man's smile did lit up her world. She smiled back at him, the genuine Nandini Murthy, oops, Nandini Malhotra smile and he stood up, forwarding his hand to her. She held his outstretched hand and stood up too. And in the morning breeze, they walked to the car and then rode back to home.

As they sneaked in to their own home and somehow reached their room, Manik locked the door and Nandini sat on the bed, breathing in relief. But one look at each other and both burst into laughter, loud and happy. Sneaking like thieves into their own house was funny.

After five minutes of non stop continuous laughter, Nandini gathered her belongings and made her way to the washroom while Manik still sat smiling.

Half an hour later, Nandini came down to find Nyonika already in the kitchen, making tea.

"Aunty, I mean, Maa, shall I help?", She asked awkwardly.

Nyonika looked at her daughter-in-law with a peaceful smile and cupped her face.

"You have helped me in ways that I can never repay you. Nandini, I couldnt be a good mother but you brought back that playful laughter of my Manik, that I haven't heard in the last many years. I heard it this morning and that is the best morning ever. Thank you so much beta...", Nyonika spoke with misty eyes but a smiling face and Nandini held the hands that cupped her face.

" You are and will always be the best mother Maa. And his laughter and smile is my responsibility Maa. You don't worry...", Nandini spoke and nyonika patted her head with all the love.

" May I also have a moment of love with my mother?", Manik asked from the kitchen door with a smirk on his face. Nyonika opened her arms and he came running to her, completing the beautiful moment!

" By the way, why are both of your eyes so red and puffy? Didn't sleep?", Nyonika teased and both of them looked at each other, remembering the intimacy they shared.

Without a single touch, the night had been the most intimate one they have shared and they planned to share this intimacy life long!