Is Anybody Listening

Adam's POV:

"But Mom, aren't I too young to become king?" I asked as I poked at the broccoli in my plate. Mom sighed.

"No you're not." She said. "You're almost about to be eighteen. Eber and I became King and Queen around---"

"Around." I repeated. "Not eighteen exactly. You told me you were King and Queen when you were twenty three. I'm eighteen---"

"Almost eighteen." Neil said as he ate a spoonful of mashed potatoes. I groaned.

"I don't wanna be King at such a young age." I replied and sighed, then took a sip of wine.

"You are becoming King and what I say is what we're doing." Said Dad. "If I have to, I will invite princesses from other kingdoms to a ball so you can pick someone to marry." My eyes widened and spit out most of the wine before I could swallow it. Mom, Dad and Neil looked at confused as I coughed. I cleared my throat and looked at Dad.

"Marry?!" I asked, but it came out as a squeak.

"Yes, marry." Said Mom as she cut a piece of steak with her fork and knife. I groaned.

"Why..." I asked, stretching out the word 'why'.

"Because you need to marry when you're twenty." Dad replied. I sighed and stood up.

"I'm done with dinner." I replied, then went upstairs to my room. I shut the door close behind me and jumped on my bed, groaning into the pillow. Why couldn't they understand how I wanted to live my life?! They want me to marry a princess and I don't want to marry a girl. I want to marry a boy. I'm gay. I haven't told my family and I'm not planning to. I looked out at the window that lead to the balcony. I stood up and went over to the balcony, the fresh air hitting me in my face. I breathed out happily. I smirked as I looked over at my writing desk. Maybe writing songs could help me erase my problems. I grabbed a pen and notebook and went to my bed, turned on my candles and continued writing the song I had been writing last week.

Steel to my trembling lips,
How did the night ever get like this?
One shot and the whiskey goes down, down, down.

Bottom of the bottle hits,
Waking up my mind as I throw a fit.
The breaking is taking me down, down, down.

My heart's beating faster,
I know what I'm after...

I've been standing here my whole life, Everything I've seen twice,
Now its time I realize
Its spinning back around now,
On this road I'm crawling,
Save me cause I'm falling,
Now I can't seem to breathe right:

Cause I keep running, running, running, running,
Running, running, running, running:
Running from my heart...

There was a knock on the door. I looked up and the door opened. Mom entered the room, closing the door behind her.

"What?" I asked, the question coming out a little too harsh.

"Well, its time to go to sleep." Said Mom. "Tomorrow you have school."

"Yeah, I know." I said as I put the pen inside the notebook and closed it. I put the notebook on my nightstand, then changed into some clothes comfortable enough to sleep in. Mom did my bed and I got under the covers of my bed. Mom came over and kissed my forehead. I sighed and Mom left. Why couldn't I decide how I wanted my life? I sighed and decided to try to sleep. Maybe I would feel better tomorrow.