Chapter Twenty Two - Raindrops and Tears

Asher's P.O.V.

     Big, puffy clouds cover the horizon, shadowed by gray that threatens to turn this warm day into a rainy one. I shake my head, flipping my brown hair to the side. Punching the button to turn the radio on, I narrow my eyes and try not to think about Terra. An angry song that borders dangerously on the line between rock and heavy metal blares from the speakers. At first, I consider leaving it on. After all, it's reflecting the way that I feel right now: angry and on edge. Who am I mad at though? Not Terra. I hate that she believes the rumors, but I can't blame her. Whoever started the rumors, that's who I'm mad at, I decide. But deep down, I know I'm angry at myself for caring, too.

     With a heavy sigh, I change the station. Listening to that kind of music would just be giving in to the persona they've given me through all the rumors. A song by Hinder comes on and I let my grip on the wheel relax a little bit, my knuckles not quite so white anymore. Taking a deep breath, I close my eyes for just a second and try to forget about the world I left behind. A horn honks and my eyes fly open. Headlights wash across my windshield and blind me as I swerve back into my lane.

     It's all over within a few seconds, but it's enough to make me pull over. After switching the engine off, I run my hands through my hair and breathe heavily. A chuckle rises in my throat, even though there's no reason to laugh.

------------------------------------------------

Terra's P.O.V.

     Blondie is really getting on my nerves. We're halfway through lunch, and he's already managed to tell me his views on multiple subjects - including his opinion on the economy, of all things - all while inhaling his lunch (and half of mine.)

Finally, I interrupt with a sound of frustration that comes out sounding like a high pitched growl. "I know the alphabet already, I don't need you to show me ABC food all throughout lunch!"

Lee stares at me with wide eyes for a bit, then bursts into laughter.

I glare at him. "What?" I snap.

"A-" Lee tries to start but can't stop laughing.

"ABC food?" He finally manages, "As in "Already Been Chewed?"

"Yeah," I say slowly, drawing the word out to imply he's an idiot. Wow, this guy is completely managing to bypass my nice side. I'm never mean! ...But apparently, I can be. Argh!

"T," Lee continues, not even noticing me bristle at the nickname, "we're not in elementary anymore."

I snap, "Some of us aren't, but it seems like you're still there."

Lee's eyes widen and he sets down his fork. "Okay, geesh, it was just a joke."

I sigh, putting my head in my hands. "I'm sorry," I mumble into my palms, "I'm not usually like this."

Lee straightens up, a knowing look on his face. He picks up his fork and resumes eating.

"Oh, so you're on your period. No biggie."

My head snaps up. "What?" I shriek. "I can't believe you just said that! No, I'm not on my period!"

People turn to look at us now and my face burns red. Lee doesn't seem to notice that people are looking our way though, he just shrugs.

"Don't be embarrassed, it's normal." Chew, chew. "I mean, I don't want to talk about it," he pauses to take a drink of milk, "but I understand you'll be a little moody." Chew, chew.

My hands are gripping the bottom of my circular chair as I try to take deep breaths. "I'm. not. on. my. period." I say, trying not to yell at him.