Chapter 23 - Lost in Thought

Asher's P.O.V.

I want to kill that Jake guy! After Terra told me everything in the rain, I walked her home and we stood together on her doorstep for the longest time, not doing anything. I wanted to kiss her, but I know she's not ready for any sort of relationship yet. And I'm willing to wait. I will wait.

Eventually, she went inside and I walked home, happy that it wasn't raining anymore - it stopped a few minutes before I left Terra's house. By the time I got home, my clothes were more soggy than soaked. I ran upstairs to my room and tossed them down the laundry chute, gratefully forgetting the feeling of my clothes clinging to my skin. I changed into clean, dry clothes and went to sit on the couch downstairs. Eventually, I fell asleep.

For all of five minutes.

"Ashy!" I hear a giggly voice scream right in my ear.

I groan but smile, "Hi, Maggie." I pull my little sister into a hug and start to bounce her on one knee, making her laugh. I laugh with her and set her down on the living room floor.

"Feel like watching TV, little sis?" I grin.

Maggie claps her little hands, "Yay!"

I grab the remote and turn on the Backyardigans for her. She turns her full attention to the screen and watches intently. 

I shake my head and laugh, shuffling into the kitchen to make us a couple of grilled cheese sandwiches. Maggie is 6 years old and I love her more than anything in this world. She's a real pain in my butt half the time, but she's still my sister. 

After I've finished preparing two grilled cheese sandwiches, I slide them on our plates and arrange some apple slices with peanut butter around the sides. Maggie loves peanut butter. I call her to lunch and she comes bouncing over to the table, her ponytail swinging behind her. I can't help but smile when I see her. 

Our mom comes home from work about an hour later and I hug her then call a fleeting goodbye over my shoulder and I'm out the door. I couldn't leave Maggie home alone, so I had to wait for my mom. I know she'll be upset that I left so abruptly, but I'm already late.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

I pull up to the familiar warehouse and park Amelia by the first of the three garage doors. 

"Hey guys. What's up, Theo? Been a while, Mike." I stroll through the garage and call out greetings to the guys I walk by. 

"Hey, bud," Richie grins when I walk over. "What's up?"

I return his grin and give him a typical guys' handshake, clapping him on the back.

"Not much, Richie, what's up with you?"

"Oh, not too much," Richie's gaze turns serious, "just outed a traitor."

I frowned, "A traitor?"

Richie's face stayed grim. "Yep, turns out Six-Pack was working for the FBI."

My brows furrowed, "The FBI?"

"Yup."

I shrugged, "Guess we're down to eleven now."

Richie smiled slyly, "Guess so."

He turned back to work on the Rolls Royce behind him, throwing a last comment over his shoulder, "Six- well, Derek now, isn't going to get away with it though."

I gulped, glad Richie wasn't looking at me, "Oh? Do you know where he lives?"

Richie turned back around, smirking, "Nope. That's why I called you here."