Chapter Seventeen - Christmas Eve

Derek's P.O.V.

I've been found out. Apparently, Grant Connors decided to start scanning his cars for bugs, as a precaution. He found the little tracker I'd stuffed in the trunk and now I'm in serious trouble. Richie has it out for me, big time. He can't believe he let an agent join the gang. Richie doesn't like being duped, and when he finds out that it happened, it's never pretty. The fact that he made me second in command just fuels his rage. I need out.

The agency has arranged for me to be shipped to a remote location where I can take on a new identity and live out my days in the Witness Protection Program. I knew the risks when I signed up for the job. I knew this could happen. I just never thought it would. 

I want Raya to come with me but, at the same time, I don't want to make her give up her life. Which means I have to lie to her. Again.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Raya's P.O.V.

Christmas Eve. It's always a great day. Remembering Jesus' Birthday and waiting to open the presents under the tree. Today, however, Derek told me that he's moving out of the country. And then he left. He didn't even stay to open presents! He tried to explain, telling me he's always dreamed of adventure. I asked him why he couldn't just go on a trip instead of moving there. He told me that was for people who had something to come back to.

"I'm not something to come back to?" I'd asked.

Derek hurried to reassure me, "No, Raya. You're the only thing to come back to. That's the point. I need a new start. A new life."

My eyes started to well up with tears, he was really leaving. "Don't you remember saying that you'd never leave me after Mom and Dad died?" 

That shut him up.

After I'd said that, Derek's composure had caved and his face fell, completely. It was the first time I'd seen my brother cry since we became orphans, years ago. We hugged, tearfully and Derek apologized over and over, but he still left. After all of those promises, after everything we'd been through, my brother left me. He couldn't even wait until Christmas was over.

Worst. Christmas present. Ever.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Terra's P.O.V.

Derek left. Raya's been crying all day and we only have a couple hours until Midnight, which is when we've always opened presents before. She's starting to calm down, after all, she does want the best for Derek, even if that means he's leaving. As I'm sitting here, trying to console her, she lets out a quiet sob and her tears start to slow. 

"I'll be fine in time for presents, T." She says.

"Raya," I say, "that's the last thing I'm worried about right now."

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Blaine's P.O.V.

I love Derek like a brother, but I don't understand why he's leaving. On Christmas Eve of all days! Couldn't he have at least waited? For Raya? I hate seeing her broken like this. 

"Hey," I say softly, rubbing a small circle across Raya's back.

Terra's eyes widen when she sees me and she looks over towards the Christmas tree where Jake and Damien are getting ready to sort the presents under the tree. I can tell she's about to bolt. I look up at her and try to plead with her not to leave just because of me, hoping she'll somehow read my mind. She holds my gaze and bites her lip, glancing over at the tree again.