Chapter Twelve - Humiliation: High School Style

Terra's P.O.V

"Ms. Lane," Mr. Boarel - the Principal - cleared his throat, scratching the white stubble that framed his chin, "Mr. Smith claims that you disrespected him, disrupted the class, and displayed intolerable rebelliousness." My school file was held in his hand, the main focus of his attention as he read the report Mr. Smith had apparently filled out.

My face flushed and I averted his gaze, sitting on my hands and bouncing my knees nervously.

After shuffling some papers around, Mr. Boarel added, "After falling asleep in his class." 

The principal set my file down, shaking his head before saying, "Honestly, Ms. Lane, this is out of character for you."

I bit my lip, studying the floor of his office.

Mr. Boarel sighed. I finally looked up, straightening in my chair.

I sighed, freeing my hands and running one through my hair before meeting his gaze, "I'm sorry, Mr. Boarel. My only excuse is that I was tired and I...I get weird when I'm tired and I had only had two hours of sleep." Unfortunately, I hadn't gotten much sleep the night before either. I tossed and turned all night, wondering what my sentence would be. This morning I'd woken up with dark circles under my eyes and a serious need for coffee.

The principal crooked a bushy, white eyebrow, clearly not believing that justified my actions in the slightest. 

I hastily said, "I know that's not a valid excuse. I just-I..." I sighed. "What's my punishment?" I mumbled, looking towards the floor again.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Raya's P.O.V

I'm in the library for study hall, since the room we normally have study hall in is needed for state tests, but Terra isn't here yet. I think she had a meeting with the principal after third hour, so maybe she's still in his office. She's not suspended, is she? That would explain why she's not here, throwing wadded up worksheets at me. 

The silence in the library is suddenly shattered with a bang. Everyone turns to look at the idiot who sent the door flying into the wall when they tripped. Oops. I meant, the understandably flustered beauty who let the door hit the wall... Terra's standing there, her face redder than a tomato, trying to dislodge the door from the plastic wall stopper.

Giggles circle around the room, bouncing off the bookshelves and the high ceiling, making it sound like everyone is laughing at her. I feel embarrassed for her and look around the room for our supervisor. Uh oh. There isn't even a librarian here. No adults present.

Unfortunately, some of the other students have noticed this as well.

"Do you stare at juice cans because they say concentrate?" a jerk sitting near the door called, earning a few laughs.

"Bet you trip over cordless phones, huh?" another bully yelled from the far left table in our group.

Terra's face is growing redder, which I didn't think was possible, and she still can't get the door free. Why must people be so mean? Everyone has their clumsy moments.

I was about to say something, when a tall guy dressed in black skinny jeans and a faded blue V-neck tee got up and started walking over to Terra. I could tell that Terra was nervous, she looked at the dark-haired, admittedly handsome guy that was quickly striding towards her with hestitancy in her eyes. She looked as if she were debating whether or not she should run away.

I could see why she was cautious. At first glance, most people would peg this guy as a trouble maker. Honestly, if it were me in her place, I might've ran away. I'll stick up for myself but if I see this guy coming towards me after the whole class laughed at me, I'm out.