Chapter Eleven - Sleep Deprivation Causes Problems

Terra's P.O.V

Well, Thanksgiving break was officially over and the students of SCHS were crawling through the doors with slumped shoulders and tired eyes. Back to the diverse culture of bullies and victims that we call high school. Joy. 

Raya and I were among the seemingly undead teenagers, our shoulders equally slumped. We'd spent the last night giggling and teasing each other whilst sitting on her bed. At one point though, I ended up on the floor. Let's just say, Raya has a way of pillow-fighting that could be considered dangerous. 

Arriving at the divided hallway, we gave each other a half-hearted smile of encouragement, but neither of us were ready to get back under the pressure of GPAs and mid-terms - which, by the way, seem to be approaching at an alarming speed. I had a feeling we'd end up sleeping through our study hall instead of ticking off the supervisor like we normally do.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Right now, I'm sitting in third period, suffering through one of Mr. Smith's lectures over the foreign symbols written on the whiteboard that are supposedly classified as "equations." If there's a reason I would consider dropping out of high school, mathematics would be it. Sighing, I slumped over even further in my desk, finally letting my head rest on the cool, polished wood. Moments later, I entered the fog of dreamland and believe me, I was not happy when the teacher yanked me out of it.

"Ms. Lane," an angry male voice belonging to my math teacher snapped.

I refrained from rolling my eyes and instead chose to slowly look up, "Yes?"

"Is my class interrupting your sleep?" clearly, this was a rhetorical question.

But, I chose to answer it as if it were earnest. Man, am I stupid when I'm tired.

I looked him dead in the eye and said, "Yes. Couldn't you be a bit easier on us since it's our first day back from Thanksgiving break?" I asked. 

Mr. Smith's eyebrows raised and the classroom filled with "Oohs" and hoots of surprise. 

"I'm sorry, Ms. Lane," Mr. Smith crossed his arms and tilted his head sarcastically, "Was four days of vacation not enough of a break from my class?"

I rolled my eyes. "Mr. Smith," I started, looking him straight in the eyes, "Ten years wouldn't be enough of a break from your class."

The classroom was unbelievably emptied of all noise for a moment. The silence was soon shattered, filled with hoots, laughter, and comments of disbelief.

Needless to say, I was kicked out of Mr. Smith's classroom. I doubt I'll be allowed to return anytime soon, if ever. Honestly, I'm lucky I wasn't suspended. 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Still Terra's P.O.V

"This," I say, angrily, "is all your fault!" Raya and I are standing in the driveway of our mansion after a silent ride home from school.

Raya looks taken back, her brown eyes growing wide, then narrowing as she exclaims, "My fault?! You're the one who back-talked the teacher after falling asleep in his class!"

"Yes," I say, my voice still loud and now exasperated, "because you made me stay up!"

Raya crooked an eyebrow, "You weren't exactly dragged into my room kicking and screaming."

I roll my eyes and slump my shoulders, "Raya," I say, my voice quieter than before and losing it's tone of accusation, "you know how I get when I'm tired."