Chapter Twenty One - Blondie & The Return

^Asher's car: Amelia

Raya's P.O.V.

Thud, thud, thud! There's a knock at the door. I groan, stretching my arms above my head and burying my face in my pillow momentarily before getting up and combing my hair back with my fingers. I wasn't expecting to be bothered today since all of the guy's are out working and I'd called in sick to school today. I wasn't really sick, just exhausted.

"Hang on!" I yell, responding to the repeated knock. 'Someone's impatient,' I think to myself. 

Shuffling across the floor in my Duck Dynasty slippers, I prepare myself for the bright sunlight I'll have to face and open the door.

I wince and squint my eyes to shield them from the blinding sunlight. In two seconds, I dismiss all thoughts of returning to my comfy bed and blind myself by widening my eyes. 

"Derek!" I squeal and jump into his arms, hugging his neck and knocking him a few steps backward. 

I feel my brother's shoulders shake as he laughs.

I pull back with him still holding me. "You're back," I smile with tears welling in my eyes.

Derek grins widely, "Did you really think I'd leave you?"

My smile falters and Derek sets me down on the cement of our driveway. "Yes," I say, looking directly at him. "I did."

Derek looks away, his smile gone and replaced by a guilty look. He sighs, shoving his hands in his jeans pockets, "Raya, I'm sorry I left."

I look up at him, and find myself thinking that we both have dad's eyes. Brown, like melting pools of chocolate with a dark outline and a piercing intensity.

Derek wraps me in a hug, which I happily return, and says in my ear, "But I'm back now. I'm not going anywhere."

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Derek's P.O.V.

Seeing Raya felt like I was being sucker-punched in the stomach even though I was the happiest I've ever been at the same time. I felt guilty, but I was so happy to see her again. When I'd agreed to go into the Witness Protection Program, I hadn't realized just how much I'd miss everybody. Especially Raya.

I know Richie will find out that I'm back. And I know he'll want revenge. But he doesn't know about Raya or anyone that I care about, I made sure of that. As long as he doesn't find out about them, I don't care what he does.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Asher's P.O.V.

My Converse sneakers pound the pavement as I pass car after car, all of them angled differently and not at all legally. Stupid High School parking lot. My white Cadillac sits in the back, two cars away from everyone else's cars. Thankfully, our parking lot is big enough that the last two rows are barely touched. That way, I can park Amelia - yes, I named my car - far away from where all the losers I go to school with park their cars.

A little cloud forms and dissipates in the air with every breath I take in the cold, morning wind. Spring is on it's way, but this year winter has been extremely stubborn. Thoughts race through my mind and I angrily try to push them away. So what if Terra doesn't want to be around me? I don't need her. I scold myself for thinking that I even care. I've never needed anyone before, and I'm not going to start now. 

She's just a stupid girl. My shoulders sag as I reach my car. I know she's not just a stupid girl to me. She's smart, funny, and shy. She's embarrassed easily and I love that about her; it's fun to make her blush. I've only talked to her a few times, but I'm already hooked. Climbing into my Cadillac, I turn the keys and peel out of the parking lot. The screeching tires sound like they're screaming, and I realize that's exactly what I want to do. 

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Terra's P.O.V.

"Ms. Lane, you're late." Mr. Yerden states, looking at me with cold, gray eyes.

I blush, nodding my head and muttering a quick apology before shuffling to my seat in the back with my head held down.

Mr. Yerden continues his lecture, not forcing me to get a pass from the office. I sigh with relief.

"Hey," a whisper sounds from my right and I freeze. Nobody is supposed to sit there; that desk has been empty this whole year.

Looking up, my eyes meet with a golden-haired, cheeky-grin-wearing guy. Dark brown eyelashes frame his laughing green eyes and his thin lips are curled in a smirk. I blush as I realize I'm staring at him.

Quickly, I duck my head, letting my brown hair fall to cover my face as I pretend to be enthralled with the blank sheet of paper sitting on my desk.

I hear a chuckle and force myself to ignore him. 

"Hey," he whispers again, "you never answered me."

I look at him with my blue eyes flashing in annoyance. "Maybe that's because I want to learn," I snap, my voice sharp but quiet.

Blondie smirks again, "Then why were you late?"

I blush and duck my head again. Another chuckle sounds.

I'm glad we only have a week left in this trimester. Hopefully, I won't have any classes with Blondie then.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Still Terra's P.O.V.

Thankfully, Blondie isn't in either of my next two classes. I hurry down the hall towards the cafeteria, wanting to talk with Raya and compare the schedules we received during third period. I hope we have classes together next trimester. 

"Sup?" Blondie slides up next to me and falls in step, clearly intending to walk with me. I look away from him and walk faster.

He just matches my pace and tries again, "I'm Lee, by the way."

"Good to know," I say coldly.

Lee tries to make eye contact with me, bending to peer at my face from under his hair.

I raise my head. "Look," I start sharply, whirling around to face him and clutching my notebooks protectively against my chest, " I don't want a new friend, and even if I did, I definitely wouldn't want it to be you."

With this, I turn away and start walking briskly to the cafeteria with my eyes to the ground. What did I just do? I'm never mean like that. My strides slow and I come to a stop just before I reach the doorway that leads into the lunchroom. Sighing, I decide to apologize and turn around.

"Aww, I knew you'd come around." Lee smirks at me teasingly. 

He'd followed me down the hall and now stood two inches away from my face. Way up in my bubble. 

"Whatever," I huff, crossing my arms. This dude is really annoying me.