Chapter Eighteen - Breathless

Terra's P.O.V.

Wind rushes across my face, pain soaring up my legs as my feet pound the frosty, uneven dirt below me. Trees blur as I race past them, barely appearing in the corners of my eyes. My breath huffs out, I'm tempted to slow down and catch my breath, but I shove the thought aside. I won't stop until I absolutely have to. I will not quit. A few minutes later, I reach the brook that's three miles into the woods. I stop, wheezing and bending over to hold my knees. The Script (my favorite band) is still blaring in my ears so I pull out my ear buds and stuff them in the pocket of my light blue hoodie. After a couple more minutes, I spot a bridge crossing over the brook and stand up, finally able to breath again. 

The brook flows softly, trickling over gray rocks that shine like silver in the sunlight. Walking quickly over to the bridge - nothing I do seems slow or leisurely anymore - I stop and take in the beauty around me. Colorful birds chirp, their innocent songs floating through the air. The sky is even more blue than normal; big, puffy clouds spread out over the treetops. I pause and close my eyes, finally letting my mind blur around the edges, finally letting myself relax for the first time in a week. 

"Hey," a voice says. A deeper, masculine voice.

I jump, my heart racing. My first thought was Jake, and I wanted to run. Run faster, even, than I had before. I wanted to run and run and run until the soles of my tennis shoes had nothing left to them and then drive. I'd steal a random car and drive. I just want to escape. I want to escape the thoughts that are always nagging me, pushing to be the only thought in my head like an annoying song that doesn't want to leave me alone.

But my feet wouldn't let me run. They let me turn on my heels, they let me stand, but they wouldn't let me run. So, I do the only thing that I can. I turn to face the person who spoke.

"Whoa, are you okay?" Silver eyes burn into mine so deeply it feels like they're reading my soul.

I shiver, partially with relief. It isn't Jake. Realizing the guy across from me is waiting for an answer, I nod and wipe my eyes. At the thought of Jake being near me, they'd started to tear up. 

"Yeah, just uh, the wind is stinging my eyes I guess." I try to give him a faint smile but this guy isn't buying any of it. Thankfully, he lets it go though.

Smirking, he says, "Hey, aren't you that girl from the library? Martha?"

Martha? I start to shake my head no but then I remember what he's talking about. My eyes widen and his smirk grows bigger. Asher, I think.

Asher nods, "That would be me," making me realize I must have said his name aloud.

I blush and Asher takes a step toward me. Subconsciously, I take a step back. We're at least two feet apart, but Jake had always been able to close that small gap in less than two seconds. 

Asher's eyebrow crooked in confusion and his eyes took on a fiery glare, "What? You're scared of me?"

My eyes widen again as I notice the steely look in his eyes. "N-no," I stutter, even though I know that it's a lie now that's he angry.

Asher's dark-brown, shaggy hair hangs just above his dark eyebrows and his pink lips are thinned out from the glare he has on his face right now.

He scoffs, rolling his eyes and letting his face relax a bit. I stand still, watching his every move, trying to determine whether or not I could outrun him if I needed to.

Probably not.

Asher looks at me, something like hurt flashing across his eyes before he regains his composure. Why would he feel hurt? I think, pushing the thought away as he steps toward me again.