Chapter One - Humiliating Beginnings

Terra's P.O.V.

Raya and I have been best friends since childhood. Now, we're both 16, with her a month younger than me. Her parents died in a car crash a few years ago, but her brother has managed to keep her with him, currently he's 19 so he's old enough to be her legal guardian. Raya and I have been through thick and thin together. Neither of us has ever strayed the other's side. We're always there for each other and both of us know it.

Raya and her aforementioned brother, Derek, live in a mansion and I live with them. They wanted me to move in and, about 6 months ago, I accepted. Raya and I became even closer, which we didn't think was possible before. We really do view each other as sisters. Derek and his friends usually ignore us, but Derek is always there when Raya needs him.

Raya loves going to parties, and I like them at times, but usually she drags me along with her against my will. That brings me to tonight, I am currently in my room, rolling strands of my long brown hair into curlers. The door shakes as someone bangs on it loudly. I hurriedly finish pinning the last curler up and briskly walk towards the door. I open it to see Raya smiling excitedly at me. I look at her thin but tall frame, finding myself wondering, once again, how she can knock on my door with so much force.

I crook an eyebrow, "You know you're not required to knock my door off the hinges to get my attention, right?"

Raya just rolls her eyes, otherwise ignoring my comment as she lets herself in. She sits on my bed, which is in the middle of my room. Giggling, she eyes my current attire, "Are you wearing that to the party?"

I look down, I'm wearing a knee-length denim skirt and a gray, baggy sweater with the Beatles on it. I'm planning on hiding my mismatched neon socks with plain, black Converse All Stars but they're sitting on the floor by my door now as I haven't put them on yet. I look up and nod at her. She squeals, "Good! I love it! And it's definitely your style." It's my turn to roll my eyes playfully as I say, "Thanks."

Now that we've approved my outfit, I take note of Raya's white, baggy tee with "LIVE" printed on it in big, black block letters, and faded gray jean skirt. Silver TOMS complete the outfit. I smile and tell her, "I love your choice, too." She grinned, "Thanks! Hurry up and take your curlers out!" I quickly take over half of them out but before I'm even finished, Raya grabs my hairspray and Converse, running out the door as she laughs, "We have to go!"

I chase after her, still trying to pull some curlers out, but I quickly realize it's not working well and decide I can do that in the car. I grab my shoes from Raya's hands when I catch up to her. I put one on and we start descending the stairs. I'm basically hopping down them on one foot, trying to put my other shoe on. A third of my brown hair is still trapped in the curlers and the rest of my hair is bouncing wildly with me. I finally have my shoe mostly on when I'm forced to a stop at the bottom of the stairs.

I look up and see the face connected to the chest I bumped into. Gulp. I look up to see one of Derek's best friends, Damien, staring at me. I blush and duck my head. "Sorry," I muttered. I quickly move past him and over to Raya, who's looking at me like she's embarrassed for me. I gasp as I realize my hair is still hideously unfinished.

Quickly, I undo the rest of my curlers and stare at the rest of the guys in front of us. Collin is chuckling along with Derek as they mentally plan my torture for the next few days I'm sure. I can't wait for the teasing they have in store, note the sarcasm.

Damien is standing there, smiling but in a daze. Collin slaps him on the back causing him to snap to attention and smile sheepishly at Collin after he whispered something in Damien's ear. Damien playfully pushes Collin away and mutters something which just causes Collin to give him a look like yeah, right.