Bullies

Word count: 2785

~happy birthday to me. I'm finally 16~

-------------------------------------------------------

October 3, 2011
3:04 pm
Bobby's POV

Bobby grunted as he stood from the small bench. He was picking up Jemma from school. Her teacher was leading the class down the hall to the main lobby.

"Everyone who is getting picked up, go sit on the bench," her teacher said.

Jemma and a few other students stepped out of the line. Jemma glanced up at Bobby and walked over to him. "Hi, Bobby."

Something was wrong. Jemma usually bounced over to him and immediately started telling him about her day. She seemed upset. She was so excited this morning; she told him that they had to write a paragraph about their families, and they were sharing them today.

"Hey, darlin'. You okay?"

Jemma just nodded. "I wanna go home."

"Okay."

Bobby led Jemma out to his truck. She didn't talk the entire way home. When they got back to his house, she dropped her backpack in the kitchen and started to make her way to her bedroom, but Bobby stopped her.

"Jemma, can we talk?"

Jemma shrugged. "I'm tired. I wanna take a nap."

"I'll make it quick, I promise."

She sat down across from him at the kitchen table.

"What's wrong, kid? You seem sad."

"I'm not sad," Jemma muttered.

"Did something happen at school today?"

"No." She crossed her arms over her chest and stared down into her lap. "When're my dad and Uncle Sam gonna be home?"

"Tomorrow, I think. You wanna call him?"

Jemma sat up a little. "Yeah."

Bobby picked up the landline and dialed Dean's number. He picked up on the fourth ring. "Hey, Bobby."

"Dean. I've got a little lady here who wants to talk to you." He handed the phone to Jemma.

"Hi, Daddy."

Bobby could still hear Dean. "Hey, Sunshine. Are you behaving for Bobby?"

"Mhmm."

"How was school today? Did everybody like your family paragraph?"

Jemma hesitated. Bobby could see tears building in her eyes. "Yeah," she answered shakily.

"Jemma, are you okay?"

"I'm fine. Are you gonna be home tomorrow?" She discreetly tried to wipe away the tears in her eyes.

"Yeah, we'll be home after school is over."

"Okay. I love you, Daddy."

"I love you too, Sunshine. I'll see you tomorrow."

Jemma handed the phone back to Bobby and ran off to her bedroom.

"Is she okay?" Dean asked.

Bobby sighed. "I don't think so. Something happened at school today and she won't tell me what."

"I'll talk to her when I get home."

"Alright. See you tomorrow. Stay safe."

"Bye, Bobby."