Chapter 7

*Beep,beep,beep,beep,beep,beep*. The sound of my alarm clock woke me. Rolling over onto my side, I slapped my alarm in distress. I am not a morning person by far. Letting a groan escape my mouth, my eyes began to go into focus as I stared at the time. It was 7:00am. I have to leave for school in an hour’s time. My first day of school in the UK. Butterflies filled my stomach as the nerves began to rise. Quickly, I jumped out of bed and looked for the bathroom. Turns out I have an en-suite bathroom. Sweet! I have to make sure that I make a good impression on my first day. I filled up the sink with hot soapy water and started to wash my body. It would take to long to have a shower. Red blotches appeared over my skin. I think the nerves have begun to get to me now as I’m scrubbing my skin too hard. Once I had finished, I emptied the sink and grabbed my toothbrush and toothpaste and began to brush my teeth. I smiled to myself in the mirror. I feel so much fresher now.

I walked back into my room and picked up my make up bag. 7:15am. I still have 45 minutes to get ready. Grabbing my mascara, concealer and other products, I put on my mask to make myself look a lot better. Even though I say mask, I hardly wear a lot of make up compared to other girls but hey, it still makes an improvement. 7:30am, still have half an hour to go. Next thing to do? Change into my uniform. UK schools are completely different to schools in the USA. In America, you are aloud to wear whatever you want. However, in the UK, you have to wear a uniform.

Scrambling around my room, I found my uniform. Black blazer, white polo shirt, red tie and cardigan, black skirt and tights with a pair of black dolly shoes. I hate it. It’s disgusting. With reluctance, I shoved on my uniform. 7:45am. 15 minutes left.

I looked at the mangled mess on top of my head. It would take me an hour if I want to try and control my hair. Improvising, I shove my hair into a bun. Perfect. I’m now ready for the first day.

As I glanced up to the clock, it was now 7:55am. No words can begin to describe how nervous I am right now. I was nervous for the obvious reasons, but one reason stood out the most… would I be recognised?

After daydreaming, I looked up at the clock again. 7:58am. SHIT! I had 2 minutes left before I had to leave. In a hurry, I grabbed my bag and made sure I had everything. Phone? Check Keys? CheckFood? Check Drink? Check Note book? Check Pencil case, perfume and hairbrush? Check. I’m finally ready.

Speeding, I run down the stairs to leave. As I get to the last step, I found a note on the table by the stairs. “Had to go to the set, going to be there for a few weeks. I’ll pop back when I can. Good luck today! Mother x” Unbelievable. Not even here to say it to my face. If I’m honest, I’m not surprised. My mother is never home, I pretty much live by myself. My mum fired Burtrum as she thought I could cope by myself as I’m 16 years old. Oh well. Home to my self is every ones dream, right?

Grabbing some spare change left on the side, I walked out to the bus stop. It’s my first day in London and I have no idea where my school is or how to get there. If I remember rightly, my mum did tell me the bus number yesterday but I guess it’ll have to be guess work today. This will be my first interaction with the people in London. Will it go okay? My stomach filled to the top with even more butterflies as the bus doors opened in front of me. Paying for my ticket, the bus fell quiet as they all stared at me. Shit, shit, shit! They clearly recognise me! Looking around, I found the nearest seat and jumped on it. The doors shut and the noise rose. No one noticed who I was, everything is okay.