I

Chapter One

Nagising ako mula sa mahimbing na pagkaka-idlip nang malakas na huminto ang sinasakyan kong bus dala marahil ng biglaang brake. I silently stared outside the window and noticed the heavy traffic we were trapped into. Nasa Makati pa rin ang bus at hindi pa nakakapasok sa vicinity ng Taguig, kung saan naroroon ang condominium na tinitirhan ko.

Comfortably, I stared at the black van just beside the bus I was in since I sat just near the window. Kumpara sa laki ng bus na kinalalagyan ko ay nakatunghay ako roon, I could even see the black shining top of its roof.

As a regular victim of the heavy traffic, looking at those cars was what comforted me the most. They gave me all the craziest idea that my hardworking cerebrum could come up to. Madalas ko kasing maisip kung may mga tao ba sa loob ng mga sasakyang iyon maliban sa driver. Inside those cars and behind those tinted windows, if there were people who were looking back at me, staring back through the dark window glasses, probably thinking the same way I was thinking?

I deeply sighed as I gently anchored my left elbow on the window and carefully let my palm catch my chin, still looking boringly at the tinted window just below my sight. May salamin ang bintana ng bus kaya nagawa ko pang isandal ang noo ko rito.

Traffic was a helpless and hopeless case. Pakiramdam ko ay hindi na mawawala ang traffic na ito. And hey, I was thinking generally. Philippines could have the heaviest traffic but other countries encounter the same case also.  Of course, traffic lights are somewhat causing traffics too but I was not telling that they are for a bad cause.

I thought, fifteen minutes had passed before the bus subtly moved again. Mabuti na lang at naka-upo ako dahil may mga pagkakataong hindi ako sinusuwerteng makahanap ng bakanteng upuan. Mahirap tumayo sa bus sa loob ng halos isang oras na biyahe dahil sa traffic.

It should only be a twenty-minute ride but the traffic was prolonging the ride.

Muli akong pumikit dahil sa pagod sa maghapong trabaho sa office. I softly leaned my head on the clear glass window and tried to take a nap, seeing a long ride ahead of me. Malayo pa ang istasyong bababaan ko dahil nasa labas pa iyon ng Makati.

Same routine everyday. Halos ganito palagi. Bus ride in the morning and bus ride in the late afternoon. Sa tingin ko nga ay nagiging buhay ko na ang bus ride.

Actually, I had a car. Nasa Valenzuela sa bahay ng mga magulang ko dahil nagtitipid ako. Commuting was a lot more practical than using my car. Gasolines nowadays are expensive. I could afford to load my car even with the most expensive fuel, it was just that, in order to do that I would have to use my cards from my parents, and I hardly said no to that.

I was living independently and that included depriving myself of luxuries I had grown with.

Pagdating ko ng bahay ay agad kong sinet-up ang phone ko dahil episode five na ako sa K-Drama'ng pinapanood ko. Usually, nakakatapos ako ng dalawang episode from six pm to nine pm and when the digital clock of my phone struck in between nine pm and ten pm, it was time for me to sleep.

I was not housing a bag under my eyes. It was not that I usually sleep early. Madalas kasi akong magka-insomnia kapag pumatak na ng alas-onse at hindi pa rin ako humihilik. And well, living alone led me into this kind of life setup. I had no one with me to spend the rest of the day so I watched dramas to both entertain myself and kill time. I didn't have anybody to share the table with during dinner, so I casually didn't eat dinner. I didn't have anyone to talk to during night so I had to keep up with my Korean Dramas.

They comforted me. They always gave me a pat on my back. They always made it up to my lonely nights. They made me feel less alone and lonely.

"It started," bulong ko nang makita ko ang digital clock ng phone ko. Hindi pa ako nakuntento at nilingon ko ang bedside table ko habang nakadapa sa may paanan ng kulay mint kong kama. Naroon sa mesa ang bilog na alarm clock.