Yesterday's Feelings

Start from the beginning

'Need the caffeine kick, huh?'

'It's been a long morning and it isn't over,' he said glancing around hoping to catch sight of Kennedy. He couldn't see her. 'Is Kennedy around?'

'In the kitchen,' Lana  told him as she prepared the coffee. 'By the way has she said anything to you about how long she's planning on staying?'

'I was under the impression it was just until she got herself back on her feet.'

'Right,' said Lana slightly disappointed.

Lex detected her apprehension. 'The two of you have become good friends.'

'Yeah. That and she's one of the best members of staff I ever had. Nothing is too much trouble for her,' she smiled. 'I like her. She's really nice. I hope she stays.'

Lex hoped so too. But he didn't say anything. Lana pushed the coffee towards him and he lifted it to his lips taking a drink. Out of the corner of his eye the kitchen door swung open and Kennedy came out carrying a tray of clean glasses. She saw him and seemed to stop for a moment, then she put down the tray and began to arrange the glasses carefully on the shelf behind the cash register.

'All done in the kitchen, Lana,' she said ignoring Lex.

'Great, thanks,' Lana replied.

Kennedy wiped her hands on the seat of her jeans and taking her notepad and pencil from her apron pocket, she went over to a customer who had just come in and sat at a nearby table.

Lana turned to Lex with a puzzled frown. 'Is everything okay?'

'Why wouldn't it be?'

'She doesn't normally blank you like that, Lex,' Lana pointed out.

No, thought Lex turning on the stool to look at Kennedy, she doesn't.

But of course he knew why.

He had been in the study taking a phone call when she arrived home the night before. She had slipped in and disappeared up to her room, and that morning eaten breakfast in the kitchen before leaving for work. She was avoiding him and he had to make things right again. He also knew he should just shrug it off, but when she had turned down his dinner invite and Clark had shown up to take her to the movies, a side of him he never knew existed had reared its ugly head. Jealousy was something Lex Luthor never had to contend with. Being the son of a very wealthy man he had never had any reason to feel the sting of the green-eyed monster. Whatever he wanted he was given.

Kennedy finished taking the customers order and then made her way back over to the counter, quickly averting her gaze from Lex before disappearing into the kitchen to hand in the order. Lana had also caught the exchange and even though she was curious, she didn't ask. That wasn't Lana's way. Lex's eyes were still on the kitchen door. But it was all soon forgotten as the Talon door swung open and Clark approached the counter, smiling at her.

'Hey,' he said.

'Hey, you,' she smiled back. 

'Hey, Lex.'

'Clark,' replied Lex with a nod.

Clark smiled across at Lana. 'Could I get a soda?'

'Sure.' She gave him a nod. 'Kennedy said the movie was good.'

'Yeah. I'm not that keen on action movies, but it was okay,' he shrugged.

'Not a big fan of superheros, Clark?' asked Lex, bemused.

'It depends on whether or not they're believable as real people and not just characters.'

Lex smiled. 'Vin Diesel. He's hardly your Don Quixote. Or Warrior Angel, for that matter.'