Shattered- Chapter fifty

When I say go away, I'm trying to see how much you care to stay.

Rose and Derek were in a heated conversation, tuning us kids out. Andrew got up from his seat, "I need to use the washroom."

He left the table and Brandon walked after him, "Yeah me too."

I looked at the couple smiling, "I'll talk to them. Don't worry. Enjoy yourselves together."

I waddled away in my heels nearly falling face flat. Andrew slammed his door locking it as did his brother. I sighed and walked up the flight of stairs before sitting on the floor, leaning against the wall between their doors.

"Brandon? Andrew? Just come out please. We can talk."

"Go away!" They said simultaneously. I got up and knocked at Brandon's door first, since he was the youngest.

I knocked and knocked and knocked until my knuckles were red and Brandon finally got annoyed. His door flung open and I bent down pulling him into a hug. He sobbed in my dress, "I remember when my dad would hurt my mom and Andrew. I waa young but i wasn't dumb. I remember when Andrew would tell me to hide in the closet until dad left for another bar. I remember when I always forgot to do something, Andrew would take the blame...he'd take the blows. He always told me he walked into a wall. I don't want history to repeat itself, Jessie."

He held onto me tighter and my heart felt for the broken little boy who always put on a facade to hide his true emotions.

"It won't. Derek wouldn't be like that. You, your mother and your brother deserve better. Maybe God realized this and sent an angel from above. Maybe Derek is just a nice man who wants to get to know y'all better."

He pulled away wiping his eyes, "You think so?"

"I know so."

The truth is, I didn't know squat. But if it made him feel better then...great.

"I want you to go downstairs and get to know him and I want you to be happy like pappy."

He laughed and I smiled, "And I want a kiss."

I raised my eyebrows at him. I laughed breathlessly, "The old Brandon's back baby!"

I placed a kiss on his cheek and he said, "Woah Nelly!" He skipped down the hall and down the steps and I smiled.

Now for you mister Andrew...I rhymed.

"Can I come in?"

"Can you leave?"

"No."

"Then no."

I sighed and sat on the floor again, leaning against his door. "O Romeo, Romeo! Wherefore art thou Romeo?"

"Go away, Jessie. I don't feel like talking to anybody," I could hear him laughing lightly and I smiled.

I knew he got up from where he was and was now leaning against the opposite side of the door, because I heard.

"I take thee at thy word. Call me but love I'll be new baptis'd."

"You're quoting Romeo now, Jess." He chuckled, "Do you even know what any of that means?"

"Nope." We sat in silence until I spoke up again, "Andrew let me in."

"I want to be alone...sorry."

"Andrew, I love you."

"I love you too, Jess but-"

"Then let me in."