Shattered- Chapter thirteen

I wake up from my dream, sweating and panting.

Why would I dream such a thing?

Andrew?

Zack?

Love?

I was beyond confused.

Andrew doesn't love me. I mean I love him. He's my best friend.

We share that kind that kind of love...a friendly kind of love.

And Zack? Why was he in my dream?

I may or may not still have a thing for him even though he ripped out my heart and practically stomped up and down on it. I hit snooze on my obnoxious and annoying alarm. Whoever invented these things...I hate you.

I check my phone and see like ten messages from Andrew.

Happy birthday.

Wait no...good morning.

Okay...happy birthday.

So I know you don't exactly like your birthday but it's Saturday and I planned something for us so yay.

I made you something.

Oh my gosh I got you something too!

Are you mad at me for bringing up your birthday?

I'm sorry. I just think that you deserve to be happy on this day instead of moping around.

I know it's hard for you but if it makes you feel any better...I got you chocolate.

Thats it. I'm coming over.

I smile as I read the messages. He cares so much. And he actually remebered.

But my main focus was that he got me chocolate.

He's right though. Usually all I do for my birthday is visit Anaya's grave and well...talk. No one knows about my tradition though. I've been doing it for two years but today makes three. I never told my mom especially because I'm afraid she'll think I'm still to attached to my best friend and try to send me to another therapist.

My head turned to my door when I hear someone knock. My mom enters with a small black box.

She gives me a small smile.

"Hey. I know I haven't been around much but..."

She handed me the box and I thanked her.

It was a golden heart shaped locket and when I opened it, it held a photo of us together. Tears welled in my eyes. Because all this time I was thinking she's too busy working to care for me but she was just earning money so she could buy this for me.

She clasped it around my neck and I engulf her in a hug which she quickly returns.

"I remeber you said you wanted it. I know your birthday is...touchy but your turning seventeen and I mean you never talk to me about it."

I wipe my tears and look at her,"Mom I love you so much you don't even know. You care so much for me...thank you."

I take her in a hug again and we pull away after. She wiped her stained mascara and sniffles, ''I should probably fix this."

She let out a breathy laugh and started for the door. But a knock downstairs stopped her.

"You're expecting someone?"

"Andrew." I say and she smiles knowingly.

She hums in response and I wine. "Mom! We're just friends."

"Right. So you'll be out whole day?"

I nod. "Then I guess I have you all to myself tonight then. Bye."

She kisses the top of my head and I smile. When she leaves my room she still had a smug look on her face.

"Just friends!"

"Love you!" She yells, ignoring my previous statement.

I rolled my eyes but a smile still lurked on my face. I still haven't showered, brushed my teeth, dressed or even brush my hair. I skipped down the steps expecting to see my annoying friend.

"Zack? Why the hell are you here?"

I know I think I still like him but I'm not positive about my feelings as I'm quite still unsure.

"Happy birthday." He holds out his hand which holds a box.

I don't do anything but stare at it. He wiggles his hand around, making me smile but I try to mask it, until I take it.

I open it and stare at what was inside. It was a silver charm bracelet. It had my name spelt out with various letter charms. Each letter had different coloured diamonds on it.

"Thanks but I can't accept this."

I push it back in his hands and he frowns a bit. "Why not?"

"Because it's wierd? I don't know it's just...why buy a gift for me?"

He looks down at his feet as if he was shy. But why?

"I don't know I guess...I just miss you."

He was still looking down, not wanting to look me in my eyes. He kicked around some pebbles on the floor as he kept his hands in his pockets.

"What?"

"You're not going to make me say it again are you?"

He looks up at me smiling and I laugh lightly.

"But you're a man whore."

I gasp and put my hand flies to my mouth wishing I could push the words back in. "That's not what I meant to say. It just came out. I'm so sorry."

He shrugs, "I deserve worse."

"What I meant to say was...you sleep around so why settle down and most importantly why me."

"You're different. Like you're innocent, the only girl I haven't slept with...forget I just said that. Your so hard to get and you act like you're not intrested in me. Jessie I know what I did to you was horrible, using you even though it didn't really work, I'm sorry...really. I'd like to be your boyfriend...for real this time."

"Um..."

"You're right I'm sorry for pushing it on you."

He hands me back the box and turns towards his car.

"Wait!"

He turns around with a hopeful look in his eye and a light smile.

"We can be friends. See where that takes us."

I don't know what I was thinking, saying I wanted to get back together with him. Maybe I just needed to meet him face to face to realise it was just an illusion.

"Yeah. I'd like that."

He drives off in his car and the same time I'm about to go inside, Andrew pulls up.

"Happy, happy, happy, extremely, extrordinary, super, duper, boomer, birthday!"

I laugh and he walks up to hug me.

"Did you shower?" He ask backing away, scrunching up his nose.

I quickly show him my favourite finger and roll my eyes while he laughs.

"Whatever go get ready. We have a big day ahead of us."

*************************************************************

If you're confused, the previous chapter was just a dream.