Shattered- Chapter sixteen

"Why do you think they call it a potato?"

I looked over at him and he smiles. "What?"

"A potato. Do you know what's a potato?"

"Yeah a potato is a potato. It's a vegetable."

"No its a fruit."

I shake my head and laugh. "A tomato is a fruit. A potato is a vegetable."

"I think that you think that I don't know that a potato is a fruit."

I laugh. "Shut up. You're such an idiot sometimes."

We pull up at my house and all the lights are off. Odd.

We approach the front door and it's unlocked. Weird.

I open the door and all the lights come on, people jumping up from their hiding spots.

"Happy birthday!"

Hailey and Amanda come up to me and give me a hug. They put a party hat on my head. I turn around and see Andrew smiling.

"You?"

"Me!" He hugs me and places playful kiss on my cheek.

"Thanks...for the party. Not..." I clear my throat and and he laughs.

I see Zack in the background and he comes up to me, giving me a hug.

"Hey. Well happy birthday...again." He chuckles and I smile, hugging him back.

I saw Andrew roll his eyes but whispered something in Hailey's ear, making her giggle. They walk away from us leaving me clueless. Maybe I'll ask him what that was about, later. Amanda gives me a smile, wiggling her eyebrows, and walks away, leaving me with Zack.

I stick my tongue out at her and she mouths 'save it for Zack', causing me to flip her the bird and she laughs. There wasn't much people but I was greatful for the party.

It had Amanda, Hailey, Andrew who apparently left, Zack, my mom wasn't here yet and that's practically it. There was a few people who Andrew hung out with, whom I bearly talked to anyways.

I walk away from Zack, feeling akward, and he grasps my hand to stop me. He linked our hands together and smiled. "I want to show you something."

He pulls me foward before I could answer. He sits on the grass, in my backyard, and pats the spot next to him, making me sit.

We sit in silence until he speaks up. "When I was young, my dad and I would go outside every night and we'd look at the stars."

I look at him and he continues. "Not anymore though," he laughs dryly, "now he's never around. Only cares about his dumb job."

I don't know why but I put my hand over his and used my other to point at the sky.

"I think that one looks like a star."

I smile sheepishly and he laughs. "Yeah well I think it looks like a heart."

Our laughter combine. "Yeah I guess it does."

He playfully pushes by my shoulders, "Of course it does. I'm an expert."

I lean my head on his shoulders, our hands still interwinded. I look up at him and he smiles.

What am I doing? I'm so confused. My life is so confusing.

"Jessie!"

I pull away from Zack, still sitting on the grass, and look up to see Amanda smiling knowingly.

"It's time to cut the cake...unless you're busy." She wiggles her eyebrows as Zack stands up and I roll my eyes at her. He gives me his hand which I take and he helps me up. We both dust of our pants.

He puts his hand around my shoulder and he walks me inside. When I reach inside everyone is gathered around the cake. They start singing happy birthday when they see me.

I look around for Andrew but he wasn't here. Maybe he just  dropped me off so he could leave me. He was around me whole day...probably got tired of me.

Just when I'm about to blow out my candles, he walks in...with Hailey? Am I missing something here? Their hands are interlinked and he looks over at me, glaring at Zack and avoiding eye contact with me.

I don't know why, but I feel my heart drop. No it shatters. Into a million pieces. But why? I don't mind...I shouldn't mind.

Well I guess I don't have to worry about if he has feelings for me or not. Guess I could date Zack...not like I couldn't anyways. I turn around and place a short kiss on Zack's lips causing people to whistle and cheer. We pull away and he smiles at me and I return it. I see Andrew roll his eyes and I blow out the candles making everyone cheer and clap...except for Andrew.

Someone in the back asks, "What'd you wish for?"

I smiled, "Can't say or it wouldn't come through."

I wished I understood what love was.

After the cake is shared, chocolate of course, amongst everyone, including myslef, Andrew walks up to me.

"Can I talk to you?"

"Why?"

He rolls his eyes in annoyance and pulls me away from the crowd.

I pull my hand put of his grasp. "What do you want?"

"Why'd you kiss Zack."

"I don't see how that's your business. Plus you were gone for like half the party so I hung out with him. I guess I was just feeling to kiss him."

He stays quiet. "Nothing to say I see."

"Jessie I wasn't gone for half the party."

"You're right. You were gone for the whole thing. Pick and choose your own fights."

I walk away from him but he stops me. "I'm sorry."

"Why? You didn't do anything wrong."

"Why do you make make me feel so guilty all the time? If I didn't do anything wrong-

I took a step away from him. "I don't know. Are you guilty of something? I said you didn't do anything wrong, relax. It's your life and if you choose to drop me off and leave after spending the whole day with me,  that's your choice. I'm not mad. Kind of like it's my life and I could kiss who I want."

"Jessie..."

I wait for him to continue but he doesn't. I roll my eyes as he finally finds his words, "I was just with someone, I'm sorry I left you on your birthday-"

"I said you have nothing to be sorry for."

My tone was calm and subtle, surprisingly, and I folded my arms and walked back inside.