Shattered- Chapter twenty six

I head back to school and thankfully I still have like five minutes of lunch. It'll be like I never left. I head into cafeteria and they're still there, talking among themselves.

I walk towards the table but pause in my steps when I hear Hailey speak without even looking at me.

"Did he tell you?"

I sucked in a sharp intake of air. "Yeah. He did."

She looked at me and I tired to hug her but she flinched away.

"I don't think he told you the truth though."

"What...whatever I'm sorry I tried to force you to tell me. I didn't know. You really love him and I was just so judgemental towards you-"

"I know he loves you. You think I don't know? He watched me in my face and tell me he doesn't love me because he loves you. Do you know how it feels to love someone who doesn't love you?"

"Hailey I didn't know you felt that way."

The harsh stinging on my face seconds later caused by hand to soothe the pain. "Of course you didn't!"

By this time people were looking on and Amanda scolded Hailey but she just flipped her off.

Zack asked me if I was okay. "Hailey that was unnecessary. The man can't control his feelings."

"Oh and you think I can?"

Zack exhaled, "Hailey we know he hurt you-"

"Hurt me? He fucking killed me! I'm dead on the inside Zack! I love him!"

I wanted to follow her but at the same time I didn't. Andrew stormed into the room and grabbed my hand pulling me out, Amanda and Zack following after.

"Why did you tell her?"

"I said it depends."

"I hate it when you're so calm and humble while I'm angry and yelling! You drive me insane!"

"I'm sorry?"

"Jessie will you be my girlfriend?"

Everyone's jaw fell to the ground as did mine. "What?"

Zack averted his eyes and I felt for him. "Zack," he looked at me and I smiled, "did you know that shooting stars aren't really stars? They're space rocks or meteors that burn up as they pass through the earth's atmosphere."

He laughed and hugged me. "I'm know you like him. I'm okay with being friends," he said quiet enough for only me to hear.

"Jessie? Will you be my girlfriend?"

"Wow. This is exactly how I imagined someone asking me that. In front the of their best friend and my friends."

He laughed, "Is that a yes?"

Amanda cuts in, a childish grin on her face, "I didn't hear a no."

"But I didn't say yes."

"But you didn't say no," Amanda counteracted.

"She didn't say anything." Zack folded his arms and I could tell he didn't want us to be together.

Unfortunately, bell rang indicating that lunch was over. Only two more periods of this dreadful school day. But I still have to face my mom for not coming home after the party.

I then remebered I told her I was sleeping over at Amanda's. Glad that's settled.

The rest of the day goes by quickly and it's soon time to go home. I bump into Hailey while on my way to my car. "Sorry, I wasn't paying attention to where I was going." I laughed nervously.

"Heard you two are a thing now. Odd considering he never broke up with me.

"We're still cool right. Like friends...or are you like mad at me or something?"

She laughs and spits hurtful words my way.

"You think he loves you? You think you're the first girl he's said that too? He'll hurt you and when he does I'll be there to watch you crumble like the little bitch you are. You deserve to get your heart broken you slut."

"So...yes?"

She rolled her eyes. "I'll call you?"

"Jessie what's your problem? I don't like you. I never did!"

"Oh...well I was just trying to be nice because I still felt bad about the love thing but I guess I don't have to be." I cleared my throat and let her have it, "I'm a slut? Speak for yourself! You're willing to spread your legs for anything that has a dick! No wonder he doesn't love you! And why would he want to have a family with you? You disgusting, hopeless, little bitch! He loves me, so deal with it!"

Tears welled up in her eyes and I instantly regretted my words, "I'm sorry-"

He fist connected with me left cheek. She walked off and it was my turn to cry. She hit like a bitch...probably because she was.

I feel kind of bad for what I said to her but she hit me so I guess we're even. Hopefull, it doesn't leave a mark because if it did I'd have a lot of explaining to do for a lot of people.