Chapter 31: Relieved

Keith's POV

My hands were trembling because of nervousness. I felt restless since this morning for today was the day wherein I was going to see Sarina's parents for the first time in 9 years since she died.

They called me yesterday telling me that they wanted to see me today. I guessed we were going to talk. We hadn't talked for almost a decade. The last time we talked was when they were so mad at me and blamed me for their daughter's death.

I stepped out of my car when I arrived in the restaurant where we were meeting. I tried to calm myself down. I was really nervous and restless.

I kept asking myself why they wanted to see me after nine long years?

Galit pa kaya sila sakin?

That wouldn't be surprising if they still do.

Was it about Kelly? Were they ready to see their granddaughter?

When I entered the restaurant, a hostess greeted me with a smile.

"Welcome, sir! Do you have a reservation?" Masiglang bati sakin ng hostess.

"Yes, and I am meeting somebody in here."

"Can I have the name?"

"Billones. Mr and Mrs Billones."

She nodded. "They are actually here, sir. Please follow me."

I followed her, and she walked fast enough for me to catch up with her. Tumigil siya sa isang spot saka tumingin sa akin.

"They're on that table, sir," sabi nito sabay turo sa isang table na malapit lang.

Dahan-dahan akong tumingin doon at nakita ko ang mga tingin nilang mag-asawa sa akin. They looked serious.

Lumapit ako sa kanila.

"Hi, maam, sir," bati ko sa kanila. I tried to be respectful as much as possible.

"Hijo." Tumayo sila at inabot ang kamay sa akin. "Nice to see you again," nangiting sabi ni Tita Letty.  Nagulat ako pero inabot ko ang kamay nila at nakipagshake hands. "Have a seat please."

Tumango ako at saka umupo na. Naupo narin sila. I felt weird. I felt something changed.

"Keith." Napaangat ako ng tingin kay tita. "How are you?"

I paused with her question. Kamusta na nga ba ako? I wanted to say that I am okay but I was in good terms with my family especially my wife. Should I lie to them?

"We heard about your problem with your wife," sabi ng daddy ni Sarina. How did they know? Of course, it was Loraine, I bet. "We're sorry to hear it. You've been through a lot these past years. Loraine told us about what happened to you and your wife."

Tumango ako. I knew it was Loraine. She liked mingling with my affairs.

I did not know what to say to Sarina's parents. Okay lang ba sa kanila na nag-asawa na ako? Hindi ba sila galit dahil hindi na si Sarina ang babaeng mahal ko?

"I'm sorry," paumanhin ko after a few minutes na naging tahimik kami.

"Hijo, sa totoo lang kami dapat ang magsorry sayo."