Chapter 40-Newt's Leg: Part 2

"FRYPAN!" I shouted, sprinting after him. He didn't get very far away from the kitchen when I caught up to him, grabbing onto his shoulder.
"Em, I really shouldn't have told you. It doesn't matter, okay?" He said, brushing my hand off his shoulder.
"Doesn't matter? He was a runner?! Why did nobody tell me!" I nearly shrieked. Fry shook his head.
"He didn't want you to know I guess. It was his choice to not tell you, so you can ask him yourself." He said.
"What? Why would he hide that from me?" I said. fry shook his head.
"Don't ask me. Ask him." He said. I felt my jaw tense up when I heard a voice behind me.
"Em? What's going on?" I heard Minho ask. I turned around to face him, and heard Frypan scurry away behind me.
"Minho, why did nobody tell me that Newt was a runner?" I said, folding my arms over my chest. Minho sighed, looking at the ground.
"It's...it's a long story, okay? Can we talk about this another time?" He said. I shook my head.
"No, Minho. I wanna know why nobody told me about this." I said, pouting. Minho grabbed my shoulders and started steering me away from the middle of the glade.
"Look, we can talk, but not here." he said. I stopped talking and walked with him, him steering me into the map room. He shut the door behind him.
"So you found out."
"Uh, yeah, I found out. When was he a runner?" I said, folding my arms over my chest. Minho scratched the back of his neck.
"It was, um, a long time ago. It was back when there weren't many of us."  He said calmly, leaning against the map table.
"Is that how he got his limp? Frypan said he got hurt in the maze." I questioned. Minho stiffened.
"Minho, answer me, please." I begged. He bit his lip and slowly looked up at me.
"Yeah, Em. He got hurt in the maze. That's why he stopped running, okay?" Minho said. I bite my cheek and looked at the floor when I heard the door creak open. I looked up as Newt walked in.
"Emmy? Zart said you were freaking out, is everything okay?" He asked, closing the door behind him. I stood up and Minho groaned.
"You were a runner?" I said. Newt's face went pale.
"Umm, for a while, yeah." He mumbled.
"Why didn't you tell me?" I asked. Newt looked at the ground.
"I didn't think it was important." He said quietly. I felt a red tint spread across my face, but I wasn't mad. I just....felt my blood boil. It was like somebody had injected fire into my veins, but my brain wasnt affected.
"That's how you hurt your leg, isn't it? What happened?" I said, my voice growing louder.
"Em, calm down." I heard Minho say quietly. I took a deep breath, my blood still burning and radiating throughout my body.
"Okay. I'm sorry for yelling, I just want to know why you kept it from me." I said quieter. Newt sighed and rubbed the back of his neck.
"I um...it's a long story. I don't really want to talk about it." He said. I was about to ask him why he didnt want to talk when a wave of nausea shot through me. I put a hand on my stomach and bent over a bit.
"Em? Emmy, are you okay?" I heard Newt say. I leaned on the table next to me and felt my knees buckle under me. I groaned and started to fall to the ground when I felt arms wrap around my shoulders. I felt them scoop me up in their arms before I completely blacked out.

When I woke up next I was sitting on the medjack bed. I groaned and sat up a bit, looking around the room. My head ached and the heat that had shot through my body before I passed out was still there. I groaned and fell back onto the bed, squinting my eyes shut and holding my throbbing head.
"Oh, you're awake." I heard. I opened my eyes and looked up at Jeff who walked over to me. He put his hand on my forehead and frowned.
"You're still burning up. How are you feeling?" He asked, pulling over a chair and sitting next to me. I shook my head and rolled my eyes.
"I feel amazing, not at all like I'm being burned alive. Oh, and the headache, love it." I said sarcastically. Jeff laughed and shook his head.
"Well, it cant be that bad since you're still making jokes." He handed me a glass of water. I thanked him and took it, sitting up and leaning against the back of the bed.
"How long was I out?" I asked before taking a sip of water. Jeff leaned back in his chair and scratched his head.
"Um, 7 hours." He said. I almost spit out the water.
"Wait, what? I was expecting you to say like, one hour." I said, setting the cup on the little table next to the bed.
"Nope. 7 hours. We honestly thought you'd be out all day. We just sent Newt back out to the glade not too long ago. You had a fever and stuff, so we figured you were sick." He said, then got up and paced around a bit.
"Look, as much as I hate saying it behind his back, you really should know how he hurt his leg." He said calmly. I nodded.
"Yeah, I want to know." I said. He looked at me and nodded.
"Okay, I talked to Minho, he's going to help you. Tonight, they're having a campfire, so he's going to try and get Newt to tell you." Jeff said. I nodded and sat up, holding my head.
"Really? I just want to make sure he's okay." I said. Jeff nodded and smiled.
"He's fine, but I can tell you still want to know." He started changing the sheet on the other medical bed in the hut.
"So, when is the bonfire?" I asked, swinging my legs over the side of the bed slowly. Jeff looked out the window.
"Should be pretty soon actually. The sun just went down so they should be lighting it up any minute." He turned back around and I stood up, a bit shakily.
"You good?" He asked. I nodded and held onto the bedpost.
"Yeah, I'm good." I let go and my legs held my weight. I let out a breath of relief and made sure I could stand by slowly lifting one leg and balancing. When my leg didn't shake or give out under me I took a few steps away from the bed.
"Okay, be careful Em. If anything happens, you let someone know and they bring you back here." Jeff said. I nodded.
"Shouldn't be that difficult to find someone. I never get any privacy around here." I laughed. Jeff smiled and I walked out of the hut and into the glade. I saw the bonfire light up and heard the boys cheering. I shook my head, trying to make my eyes focus better, and started to walk towards the group.